See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

I’ve now read that it’s the two chimneys and boiler house at Ferrybridge and not the cooling towers which are being demolished on the 22nd 🤨 

Just watched the chimneys and boiler house at Ferrybridge be demolished on the livestream… just the 3 cooling towers left now.

Anyone see the last 4 cooling towers at Eggborough be demolished last week?

Was a clear day today so thought I'd have a walk up to the topograph at Ringinglow and resurrect this thread :). First shot is Lincoln Cathedral - can see quite a bit of detail, not bad from 43 miles away:

DSC01425-01

Second is of what remains of Ferrybridge. To my surprise you can see York Minster between the cooling towers, some 47 miles away (it's not marked on the topograph, I don't think). The other structure is Lowe Stand at Hoyland, and Skew Hill transmitter:

DSC01423-01

• Like 1

Top pics, thanks for posting.

I t would have been interesting to see if you could see the near pier of Humber bridge - I think that's over 50 miles from memory, and again marked on the plate (52 if the title of the attached image is correct). Apparently only the nearest of the two piers are visible I seem to remember reading somewhere. I found a picture of it here - I suspect a really good pair of binoculars are required, plus a bit of imagination.....

Humber Bridge view from Sheffield (52 miles distance) | Flickr

I suspect the conditions at the moment where it is cold (so no heat haze), and a gentle breeze to clear away any pollution makes the conditions about as good as they can be to get decent views. 

I've seen the Humber Bridge towers from up there before, but shows just how important the light is. Whilst it was good towards Lincoln and York, it was much cloudier over Hull and looked drizzly and I couldn't see them at all yesterday. I've photo'd them from Grenoside a few times though!

With the Naked Eye you can see the aircraft warning lights on Belmont transmitter 58 miles east of the viewpoint.

Look East for the tall lights on Manor Top and find Springs Academy just to the left.

Slightly left again and you will see the lit up twin towers of West Burton PS on the Trent.

Slightly left again you will the taller fainter red warning light on Belmont.

If you see a single chimney you are too far left (south) and looking at Cottam PS.

I took one shot of West Burton - are those buildings at in the foreground at Manor Top?

DSC01430~3

17 hours ago, supersonic said:

I took one shot of West Burton - are those buildings at in the foreground at Manor Top?

Yes,  its Springs Academy between East Bank Road and Hurlfield Road

At night the twin chimneys have red warning lights.

Behind would be the the taller but fainter(twinklier?) lights on Belmont transmitter(58 miles).

Your excellent picture of York Minster includes an example of a mirage.

The guide ropes of the transmitter and the power cables are only inches in diameter so at that distance would be visible or silvery if reflecting light.

Apparently when the cables are cooler/hotter than the surrounding air, a layer of less/more dense air results. This creates a 'lens' which refracts the light coming from behind so making the background immediately behind the cables look darker. So you don't actually see the cables-just the effect of hotter/colder air.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Interesting stuff regarding the stays. I've never managed to photo Belmont, though I have got a shot of Bilsldale, albeit this is from Barnsley - you can see the white horse at Kilburn too:

DSC00551-1-02

Humber Bridge from Grenoside:

paulspics2 005-01-01

The Minster again from Grenoside:

DSC01089-01

Brilliant pictures thanks for posting! The York Minster photos are very impressive.

I got a few photos of Lincoln Cathedral and several power stations from the top of Crich memorial tower a few months back, couldn’t find the Humber Bridge though.

Can anyone confirm whether the Kilburn White Horse can be seen from the viewpoint at Ringinglow or anywhere around Sheffield?