See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

On 12/07/2021 at 14:28, LW950 said:

I always find it interesting that some people claim Lincoln Cathedral can be seen with the eye alone while others claim binoculars or a telescope is needed.

I’m 99% sure I managed to see it from Crich Stand on a cold January evening last year through 10x50 binoculars but I could not make it out by eye. That is from a distance of 41 miles, similar to the Ringinglow to Lincoln distance  but I’m aware the direction and aspect is different.

I could imagine that Lincoln Cathedral could be visible with the naked eye when the evening Sun was reflecting off it after a rainy day.

God evening all. I can assure you that Lincoln Cathedral can be seen with the naked eye from Ringinglow  when weather conditions allow and of course you know the precise direction to look.

My eyesight isn't 100% but I have seen it after first establishing the position with binoculars.

15 hours ago, Runningman said:

God evening all. I can assure you that Lincoln Cathedral can be seen with the naked eye from Ringinglow  when weather conditions allow and of course you know the precise direction to look.

My eyesight isn't 100% but I have seen it after first establishing the position with binoculars.

Impressive. I will hopefully go up this winter on a nice day and have  a look. It’s found near Norton water tower I believe?

7 hours ago, LW950 said:

Impressive. I will hopefully go up this winter on a nice day and have  a look. It’s found near Norton water tower I believe?

Good evening LW950

Can't promise when, but the next time I up at Ringinglow, will take a compass bearing for you and anyone else interested.

The bearing from the Rotary Club Observatory at Ringinglow is 100 degrees.

Very often the single wide chimney of Cottam power station causes confusion, more so that it is often idle and soon to close.

15 hours ago, Runningman said:

Good evening LW950

Can't promise when, but the next time I up at Ringinglow, will take a compass bearing for you and anyone else interested.

Thanks

14 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The bearing from the Rotary Club Observatory at Ringinglow is 100 degrees.

Very often the single wide chimney of Cottam power station causes confusion, more so that it is often idle and soon to close.

Thanks and yes Cottam’s chimney will be demolished in the next few years.

Less than 10 years ago there were 7 coal fired power stations visible from here. Thorpe Marsh and High Marnham were demolished in 2012, and on Sunday half of the cooling towers at Eggborough were demolished, with the other 4 presumably set to follow in the not too distant future. 

Bit crappy of the demolition company though, apparently they announced they would demolish them between 10 and 11am, and they did it at 8! People came for miles to watch it only to find the towere already down!

17 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Less than 10 years ago there were 7 coal fired power stations visible from here. Thorpe Marsh and High Marnham were demolished in 2012, and on Sunday half of the cooling towers at Eggborough were demolished, with the other 4 presumably set to follow in the not too distant future. 

Bit crappy of the demolition company though, apparently they announced they would demolish them between 10 and 11am, and they did it at 8! People came for miles to watch it only to find the towere already down!

Sad to see another lot of towers be demolished. Sounds like I won’t be able to photograph Eggborough as I imagine it’ll be gone by the time I get up to Ringinglow.

Are the chimneys at Ferrybridge still there or have they also gone?

The wiki has the 3 remaining towers to be demolished 21 Aug this year

Edited by butlers

38 minutes ago, butlers said:

Just been reading about it. I believe the original plan was to retain those 3 cooling towers for the next station - guess the plan must’ve changed now.

3 hours ago, butlers said:

That Eggborough or Ferrybridge?

Edit: Just seen it's Ferrybridge, Eggborough has 4 left anyway. And it's 22nd August not 21st which makes sense as they usually do these demolitions on a Sunday morning for some reason.

Edited by Colin Foster