See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Guest makapaka
On 07/01/2020 at 10:19, LW950 said:

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I have read that the last 3 remaining cooling towers of Ferrybridge are being retained for the new station planned for the site. This may have changed now though.

This is still the plan to my knowledge.

On 07/01/2020 at 09:41, Runningman said:

Hi Derby Tup

Yes, turn right on Fulwood Lane which is just past the Norfolk Arms pub travelling up Ringinglow Road from Sheffield . The viewing point is at the junction of Fulwood Lane and Greenhouse Lane

I can't be any more clearer !! 

Perfectly clear now - thanks.  

Hi Derby Tup

Somewhere on this thread there is a photo of the Welsh mountains viewed from the Snake summit

I reckon that must be 70 miles as the crow flies

Must attempt to see that view !

11 hours ago, Runningman said:

Hi Derby Tup

Somewhere on this thread there is a photo of the Welsh mountains viewed from the Snake summit

Snowdon from the top of Kinder Scout...

http://portervalleydaydreams.blogspot.com/2017/02/snowdon-as-seen-from-kinder-scout.html?m=1

2 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

Good morning stifflersmom and thanks for that !

WOW would be my comment !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder what sort of long distance views could be possible prior to the smoke of the Industrial Revolution

Just to clarify, the blog post is not mine. It is incredible what can be observed. I recently saw something about some Alpine being observable from the Pyrenees, a distance of 400 miles or so.

From the village Isle of Whithorn in SW Scotland, (which is not much above sea level) the snow capped peaks of the lake District can clearly be seen., although a clear winters day is needed. Also from the same area the Mountains of Mourne are visible at about 73 miles.

14 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

Although hills can be seen over great distances, and even further than curvature of the earth would allow.

Most "long distance" records are mirages.

This photograph exhibits some problems, some explained by foreshortening effect of a mirage.

Tryfan and Y Garn are in line when viewed from Kinder Scout.

As are Moel Siabod with the much higher Snowdon behind.

Tryfan would not stand out as a separate peak as Y Garn, Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach are in the background and higher than Tryfan.

The heights of the mountains v. valleys, the width of the valleys and the massively exaggerated North South arc distance. It takes less than a day to walk from Snowdon to Foel Fras up and down all 14 3000' peaks.

Missing in the haze are the following:

Manchester, Stockport, Liverpool, the hills at Helsby and Frodsham and Chester

The industrial complexes  along the Mersey  e.g.Widnes, Ellesmere Port, Runcorn, Fiddlers Ferry power station.

The have and the foreshortening indicate that this is a photograph of a mirage.

On another note.

From Black Combe above Silecroft near Barrow you can see Scotland, England, Ireland, IOM, Wales and Yorkshire! "the amplest range of unobstructed prospect may be seen that British ground commands."William Wordsworth. At less than 2000' it is an easy day or night walk with an easy last 1500'

7 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Although hills can be seen over great distances, and even further than curvature of the earth would allow.

Most "long distance" records are mirages.

This photograph exhibits some problems, some explained by foreshortening effect of a mirage.

Tryfan and Y Garn are in line when viewed from Kinder Scout.

As are Moel Siabod with the much higher Snowdon behind.

Tryfan would not stand out as a separate peak as Y Garn, Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach are in the background and higher than Tryfan.

The heights of the mountains v. valleys, the width of the valleys and the massively exaggerated North South arc distance. It takes less than a day to walk from Snowdon to Foel Fras up and down all 14 3000' peaks.

Missing in the haze are the following:

Manchester, Stockport, Liverpool, the hills at Helsby and Frodsham and Chester

The industrial complexes  along the Mersey  e.g.Widnes, Ellesmere Port, Runcorn, Fiddlers Ferry power station.

The have and the foreshortening indicate that this is a photograph of a mirage.

On another note.

From Black Combe above Silecroft near Barrow you can see Scotland, England, Ireland, IOM, Wales and Yorkshire! "the amplest range of unobstructed prospect may be seen that British ground commands."William Wordsworth. At less than 2000' it is an easy day or night walk with an easy last 1500'

Interesting, there is another image from a different source here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockportmike/8445407648

On 12/01/2020 at 20:36, Runningman said:

Hi Derby Tup

Thanks.  Yes someone has kindly posted it below.  I don't know why I find such things surprising, but I do.  And I think it's really fantastic to see this kind of stuff.  Although, I bet no one in Snowdonia is looking back the other way saying, "Ooh look!  You can see Ringinglow from here!".

Edited by DerbyTup

On 14/01/2020 at 07:46, stifflersmom said:

Interesting, there is another image from a different source here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stockportmike/8445407648

Yes it is, and this is what you would expect to see.

This appears to be the image of the hills and not exaggerated by atmospheric conditions.a m

The blue/grey silhouette is normal as are the indistinguishable peaks.

In winter, snow is (used to be?) a permanent feature above 3000' along the Glyder and Carneddau tops and this help would pick out lower slopes, cymoedd and ridges. This looks to be happening in this second photo. 

Helsby and the oil refineries along the Mersey are very visible. The North South arc is more to scale (still exaggerated by foreshortening of the camera lens)

Above the Clwyd hills and in the clouds it is just possible to make out the longest 3000' ridge in Wales between Pen yr Ola(u) Wen and Foel Fras.

At this distance Tryfan, Glyder Fawr, Glyder Fach would be merged as would Y Garn and Pen yr Ola(u) Wen (all 3000'+).

All these peaks are within 2 miles of each other.

Snowdon itself would be behind the Tryfan-Glyder Fawr ridge.

From Carnedd Llywellyn you can make out the Liverpool the Lancashire Coast (including Blackpool Tower, Heysham PS and Black Combe.

The Pennines are more difficult to distinguish as the 2000' flat  plateau merges with the horizon. The Forest of Bowland and the Lake District are visible as are the IOM and Wicklow Mountains in Ireland but Ringinglow is impossible.  I have not seen The Mourne(NI) and Galloway hills in Scotland as they are below the horizon but have been seen when atmospheric condition refract the light. 

The best views  are always in the evening and in my opinion the widest range of views are from the most isolated 3000' Elidir Fawr.