See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

36 minutes ago, jon&emma said:

I’m glad you’ve revived this old thread I’m just hoping more pictures are uploaded. 

Me as well it’s a shame that a lot of the pictures on here seem to have been taken away or are no longer available to see.

On 05/01/2020 at 13:32, LW950 said:

Me as well it’s a shame that a lot of the pictures on here seem to have been taken away or are no longer available to see.

Me too. Fascinating subject.

26 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Me too. Fascinating subject.

Certainly is I’ve been reading about it for a while now and it is amazing how far you can see in good weather. I will have to go up to this viewing table when I have time.

4 hours ago, LW950 said:

Certainly is I’ve been reading about it for a while now and it is amazing how far you can see in good weather. I will have to go up to this viewing table when I have time.

Totally.

I’d love to see what you can see with the right equipment (telescope or binoculars?) on a good weather day.

On 24/05/2016 at 22:54, Runningman said:

Travel out of the city to Ringinglow, turn right past the Roundhouse. The road dips and turns to the right, then rises to where the stone plinth is on your right. Park sensibly on the road side, should be able with crutches to walk across the grass to the plinth.

As you travel out of Sheffield towards Ringinglow, the Roundhouse is on your left, opposite the Norfolk Arms pub.  Do you mean, "turn right after the Norfolk Arms pub - along Fulwood Lane?"  (You could only "turn right past the Roundhouse" if you were coming down the hill towards Sheffield with the Norfolk Arms on your left).

Sorry, not trying to be pedantic here, but I find your directions confusing.  Could you give the actual road names?

8 hours ago, Waldo said:

Totally.

I’d love to see what you can see with the right equipment (telescope or binoculars?) on a good weather day.

Finding out the white horse at Kilburn can be seen is amazing but I imagine that takes good weather conditions. I went to the top of York Minster when I visited last year and it can apparently be seen from the top of there but it unfortunately wasn’t clear enough.

Ferrybridge, Eggborough and Drax power stations were clearly visible even in cloud. Was a nice thought looking through the towers of Ferrybridge and knowing Ringinglow was in that direction.

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

As you travel out of Sheffield towards Ringinglow, the Roundhouse is on your left, opposite the Norfolk Arms pub.  Do you mean, "turn right after the Norfolk Arms pub - along Fulwood Lane?"  (You could only "turn right past the Roundhouse" if you were coming down the hill towards Sheffield with the Norfolk Arms on your left).

Sorry, not trying to be pedantic here, but I find your directions confusing.  Could you give the actual road names?

Hi Derby Tup

Yes, turn right on Fulwood Lane which is just past the Norfolk Arms pub travelling up Ringinglow Road from Sheffield . The viewing point is at the junction of Fulwood Lane and Greenhouse Lane

I can't be any more clearer !! 

Ferrybridge has only three cooling towers left and they will be gone soon.

With the closing of all the other coal power stations on the Trent and Aire the days of the cooling towers are numbered.

Looking east from highground in Sheffield, the warning lights on the Trent power stations are clearly visible on most clear nights  (30+ miles ) as well as those of the Belmont transmitter nearly 70 miles away on the Lincolnshire Wolds.

On cool but sunny  early mornings in spring the mast and cables can become 'visible'. The illusion is caused by the temperature difference between the air and metalwork causing a lens through which the dawn light behind is refracted.

13 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Ferrybridge has only three cooling towers left and they will be gone soon.

With the closing of all the other coal power stations on the Trent and Aire the days of the cooling towers are numbered.

Looking east from highground in Sheffield, the warning lights on the Trent power stations are clearly visible on most clear nights  (30+ miles ) as well as those of the Belmont transmitter nearly 70 miles away on the Lincolnshire Wolds.

On cool but sunny  early mornings in spring the mast and cables can become 'visible'. The illusion is caused by the temperature difference between the air and metalwork causing a lens through which the dawn light behind is refracted.

Yes when I was at the top of the Minster I could see the 3 remaining cooling towers and the two thin chimneys. When I was on the train home we passed in between Eggborough and Drax it was quiet a sight.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I have read that the last 3 remaining cooling towers of Ferrybridge are being retained for the new station planned for the site. This may have changed now though.

The warning lights and chimneys of several power stations I.e West burton, Cottam and Ratcliffe on Soar are easily visible from where I live and the surrounding area the Yorkshire ones however are not.

Woodhead Road at Grenoside is another good vantage point to see the Humber Bridge &  power stations etc on a clear day.

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Woodhead Road at Grenoside is another good vantage point to see the Humber Bridge &  power stations etc on a clear day.

I will have to go to these places and have a look for myself on a clear day, however I only own 10x50 binoculars.

The Humber Bridge sounds like a challenge depending on the weather but the pictures I have seen on here are impressive.

On 07/01/2020 at 13:33, lil-minx92 said:

Yes, and Green Moor Road above Stocksbridge. The Humber Bridge can be seen with the naked eye from there in clear conditions.