See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Hi, I go to Ringinglow often as I have found it to be one of my favourite places been so high up. There is a compass point at Ringinglow saying what is what in which direction. Keadby power station needs to be added to the viewing point between the Humber bridge and Scunthorpe steel works sign! As I come from near Scunthorpe I know a few more places that I have recognise from Ringinglow. Its such a wonderful location and I love it.

It's good on a clear frosty winters day if your lucky you can see the Humber bridge without the aid of binoculars 52 miles away.

Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515079

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515062 - enhanced

Just come across your photos, amazing, how did you take them combining the scope and blackberry?

Hi, I go to Ringinglow often as I have found it to be one of my favourite places been so high up. There is a compass point at Ringinglow saying what is what in which direction. Keadby power station needs to be added to the viewing point between the Humber bridge and Scunthorpe steel works sign! As I come from near Scunthorpe I know a few more places that I have recognise from Ringinglow. Its such a wonderful location and I love it.

Well, it's great to get up there with a decent set of binoculars correctly collimated but I still say some of the claims are inaccurate. BTW did anyone see the conjunction of Mars and Venus last night?

Can you not see Lincoln Cathedral since it sits on a hill in a flat landscape?

Can you not see Lincoln Cathedral since it sits on a hill in a flat landscape?

You most definitely can

Some great pictures there, and that is definitely York Minster you can see. A quick look on google earth confirms it, just use the ruler tool and draw a line from the view point to the minster. Depending on where you are located in Sheffield, Ferrybridge is in direct line of site. From Woodhead Road at Grenoside the Minster is slightly to the left of Ferrybridge.

I know the Emley Moor transmitter can be seen from Ringinglow, but I wonder if the Belmont transmitter has ever been spotted in the Lincolnshire Wolds between Louth and Market Rasen! That will be the next challenging sight seeing from Ringinglow.

Ringinglow is very good, but if you want a GOOD view in most directions, think about a walk up to BACK TOR, on Derwent edge.

Went once and was amazed!

Went again and despite forecasts there was low cloud.

Went Saturday and it snowed! As on the previous occasion about 300yds down it cleared up!

Well worth it but remember boots, grub and appropriate clothing. Suggest allowing about 4 hours.

I know the Emley Moor transmitter can be seen from Ringinglow, but I wonder if the Belmont transmitter has ever been spotted in the Lincolnshire Wolds between Louth and Market Rasen! That will be the next challenging sight seeing from Ringinglow.

Regularly on any clear night

From Lydgate Lane it is easily visible amongst or just south of the twin towers of West Burton power station. When very clear the Aircraft recognition lights are visible to the naked eye.

I imagine Bilsdale transmitter can be seen too on a good day.

Here is a pic I took from the top of Grenoside a few years ago:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/supersonic525/IMG_633505901057794_zpswngpplc3.jpeg

Press the magnifier for a clearer not compressed image.

Can see Hoober stand, Hoober observatory, and distantly the now demolished cooling towers at Thorpe Marsh.

Edited by supersonic