See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

York Minister is indeed visible from up around Ringinglow.

Last night we saw Emley Moor Tower, the top of the two towers of the Humber Bridge (plus cables) and Lincoln Cathedral from the Rotary Club Vantage Point. We also saw the middle (lantern) tower of York Minster but not the two end towers or the main lower structure owing to their being restricted visibility - structures in the way - between the vantage point and York.

From a little way away, near Ringinglow, we saw the top of the Chimney at Kegworth and York Minster with both lantern tower and end towers (plus some of the main structure) visible. This was after many years of speculating as to where it actually was in relation to where we were! York Minster is a difficult one to locate. It was viewing York Minster from here that made us sure that what we saw from the Rotary Club Vantage Point is indeed York Minster.

All are visible using 10x binoculars, but we had the benefit of a 30X scope too which helped to 100% confirmed that we were looking at York Minster.

On a clear day a few years ago, I managed to discern the Eiffel Tower, difficuilt to see much further than this though.

Oingo - Next time you plan on going up Ringinglow with the old binoculars, I'd truly appreciate it if you PM'd me and allow me to join you for ten minutes.

I would love to be able to see York Minster from up (t)here.

Any joy on the M62 at Goole?

Hi Ousetunes, will do. Might not be for a little while. Will PM you my number when I have made 5 posts.

I have a few photos of York Minster taken using the telescope and my blackberry! They cam out reasonably well. Will try and link them here at some point.

I haven't seen the M62 at Goole - sounds like a challenge! I read somewhere that you might be able to see the Kilburn White Horse but thing you would have to be pretty far east in Sheffield to see that - and it is a huge distance away (70 miles) so I am really unsure if it would be visible.

You can only see six power stations now, since High Marnham (the southernmost one) was demolished a couple of weeks ago. Soon there'll only be five when the finish demolishing Thorpe Marsh - two of the six towers have gone this year already.

From a little way away, near Ringinglow, we saw the top of the Chimney at Kegworth

Is that Ratcliffe on Soar?

On a clear day a few years ago, I managed to discern the Eiffel Tower, difficuilt to see much further than this though.

:hihi: of course, you are joking- the Eiffel Tower is to the south, not over and beyond the humber bridge. What you may have seen was the flag that Hilary planted in the north pole

I saw the moon from up there one night.I think.

Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515079

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515062 - enhanced

Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515079

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515062 - enhanced

York Minster? That's Ousetunes shed! :hihi:

York Minster? That's Ousetunes shed! :hihi:

I've been to the viewing table many times over the last few years I know Lincoln cathedral is on the brass plaque but can't remember seeing Yorkminster on there

I will go up on a clear frosty day and take another look! I really enjoy the fresh air up there too.

Where exactly is Rud Hill please ?

The fella with the emu?