See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Before you all shout at me 'we've had this thread before' I ask for your patience.

In The Star a week or two back, there was a feature on what landmarks could be seen on a clear day from the Ringinglow / Hallam area of Sheffield. A farmer from Fulwood Head Farm, along with some Rotary Club members have built a stone plateau and on top there is a metal disc which describes what you can see and precisely where, should the weather be nice.

From the photograph in the now blue-binned paper, it looks like the pile of stones, or plateau, is situated around the Fulwood Lane area possibly near Fulwood Head Farm. The big question is, does anyone know exactly where it is? Is it a five minute walk from Fulwood Lane, higher up towards Ringinglow, or what?

This is a subject which continues to really interest me. The article stated that in perfect conditions you can see seven power stations, Lincoln Cathedral, Humber Bridge (sometimes without binoculars) and incredibly, York Minster.

Thanks for the link - it gives me a pretty good idea as to its whereabouts.

I had a look this afternoon and it is on a triangle of grass at the junction with Greenhouse Lane (which is the first right after you come up out of Clough Hollow). I'll put a map up later.

Is that your doggie?? he/she's lovely:)

i found that the other day when i ran up there. I also found lots of snow that got very deep and stopped my running!

Originally posted by cgksheff

OK, here is a location map.

Thanks for the map cgk - I regularly take our dog up to the oxstones nearby, so I will call and have at the rotary site. Hadn't heard anything about it until now :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have now found the exact location of this - plateau? - (just what DO we call it) and shall be spending many an hour up there come summer, or whenever we have a decent day's weather!

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have now found the exact location of this - plateau? - (just what DO we call it) and shall be spending many an hour up there come summer, or whenever we have a decent day's weather!

You will probably find the best time for long distance viewing is in the spring/autumn during the 2 hours before sunset for views to the north and east, and the 2 hours after sunrise for views to the south and west. In summer there is often a heat haze to spoil the view.

Good weather conditions help too, with the best visibility just after a cold front has gone through. Just my experience from living at a similar altitude to the Rotary Club site....we're on the 1200ft (360m) countour above Bradfield.

Power station cooling towers are useful markers and there's a map of them here....

http://www.electricity.org.uk/uk_map.html

Be interesting if you could do a follow-up with what you can see from there, - I suspect you'll need a good naval telescope to see York Minster :)

I shall endeavour to keep anyone interested in this thread informed.

Only, as I now wait for good viewing weather, expect this thread to lie dormant for a month or two!

I went on a school trip to a power station once, it was the best school trip I ever went on, after the sewage works at Meadowhall, that was realy good.