Bell Vue Zoo and Fair in Manchester. Does anyone remember it?

I went to Blackpool every year with my grandparents when I was a kid.

We used to drive past Bellevue and I would look longingly at the funfair but was told there was a 'better funfair at Blackpool' (Pleasure Beach)

Unfortunatly I never got to find out cos by the time I was old enough to get there under my own steam the place had closed down.

One memory though - there was some sort of roller coaster/wild mouse type ride near the entracne and I am sure it had a plaque on it saying that some one held the record for the fastest ride ever.

Can anyone remember that???

Did you go to Blackpool in a charabanc?

Did you go to Blackpool in a charabanc?
By the 1950s when I was going to Blackpool the coaches had roofs and windows, but a lot of people still called them "charas". This 1931 map of Belle Vue has a "chara and motor car entrance" though by the 1930s open-backed charabancs were probably rarities. The roller-coaster that docmel remembers is perhaps this one - I well remember the water splash.

I used to love going to Belle Vue. My favourite was 'over the falls'

I took my own kids there in 1965. Times were tough then. I had an old car but it wasn't taxed. I risked it and took them there from Sheffield. I sweat buckets everytime I saw a bobby. You wouldn't get away with that today.

Hi all, remember Belle Vue very well, used to go to speedway to watch the Tigers when they took on Belle Vue then after that we used to go round the fair and zoo it was brilliant, the fireworks display was also very good. The journey over snake pass from Sheffield was an experience cause dad used to take us in his works lorry, fond memories of Belle Vue.

I remember seeing the 'Wall of Death' as a young 'un ..also went to quite a few Gigs in the Kings Hall (last one was The Flamin Groovies in 72 )...:hihi:

I remember seeing the 'Wall of Death' as a young 'un ..also went to quite a few Gigs in the Kings Hall (last one was The Flamin Groovies in 72 )...:hihi:

believe it or not mate i've played the kings hall a few times along with your uncle tommy back in the early/mid 70's, back in my brass band days. we always had a good day out at bell vue. that lancashire beer was never up to much though:gag::hihi:

I went to Blackpool every year with my grandparents when I was a kid.

We used to drive past Bellevue and I would look longingly at the funfair but was told there was a 'better funfair at Blackpool' (Pleasure Beach)

Unfortunatly I never got to find out cos by the time I was old enough to get there under my own steam the place had closed down.

One memory though - there was some sort of roller coaster/wild mouse type ride near the entracne and I am sure it had a plaque on it saying that some one held the record for the fastest ride ever.

Can anyone remember that???

Having an Auntie who lived in Marton - a suburb of Blackpool, we would frequently travel from Sheffield via the Snake Pass to visit her in the 40's &

50's. One of the highlights of the journey was to see Belle Vue and especially the 'Bobs' which were right next to the main road. Never did stop to visit but the big dipper or switchback, as it was known, looked thrilling to a young lad. Nothing ever looked as steep until the modern steel constructed rides came on the scene. The price for the 'Bobs' I believe was a tanner and my Dad used to say that it was advertised as 3d for the ride and 3d for insurance 'cause it was so dangerous!

We used to drive over on Saturday nights to watch the wrestling,Les Kellet and co plus "dirty Alf Rawlings"

believe it or not mate i've played the kings hall a few times along with your uncle tommy back in the early/mid 70's, back in my brass band days. we always had a good day out at bell vue. that lancashire beer was never up to much though:gag::hihi:

Eighup Syca...that completely slipped mi' mind , i went on a few trips wi' Ecco Brass Band (including Kings Hall ) ..but ..after watching Ecco play , i'd usually shoot off for a couple o' pints ( Wilsons Great Northern Bitter :gag: ) ..:hihi:

Eighup Syca...that completely slipped mi' mind , i went on a few trips wi' Ecco Brass Band (including Kings Hall ) ..but ..after watching Ecco play , i'd usually shoot off for a couple o' pints ( Wilsons Great Northern Bitter :gag: ) ..:hihi:

We used to go to Bell Vue to watch Sheffield Tigers race against Bell Vue Aces at the speedway and after everyone was let into the fairground for free.

Didn't the big dipper rattle like the clappers when the whole wooden structure used shake.

I remember going to the zoo to see the Tigon.A cross between a lion and a tiger.In the late 40s.

I remember going to the zoo to see the Tigon.A cross between a lion and a tiger.In the late 40s.

Are you sure it wasn't a liger?