When to have a garden fire

Can I ask - why the need to have a garden fire?

There are some plant waste - like Jap knot weed that is illegal to remove from your garden, so burning is the only option.

I telephoned Sheffield City Council a couple of weeks ago and they said there is no law and just use common sense.

can anyone tell me about having a fire in your garden, is it illegal or just inconsideratre, i always thought you couldnt have a fire until after 6-7 in evening.

I don't think that's actually a law, but it's more considerate to have one after 6pm and have a check to see if any neighbours have any laundry out then you'll be fine :thumbsup:

To get rid of garden rubbish that can't be composted and it's more environmentally sound than driving it all the way to the tip where it then goes in landfill.

Remember to spread the ashes on you're flower beds as they are a good source of potash and will promote flowering.

I love a good bonfire, the best time to have one is when one of your neighbours lights one then you will be blame free!

Trouble is neighbours dont have one often enough!

Sorry, glad you took it in good humour, I couldn't resist it!

Perhaps you could ask them to let you know next time they have a burn so you could shift the car away for an hour or two?

The point is you shouldnt have to should you?

I had a garden fire a couple of years ago and after neighbour complained I called the council to check if I was in the wrong (I never a fire would be a problem but there you have it). The lady on the phone (from the environment services I believe) told me I was entirely in my right.

One can have a garden fire which ever day and time. You cannot off course forbidden articles, I'm thinking chemicals and wotnot. She also said that if these fires were not a regular occurance they would not be classified as a nuisance and no one could decently complain about it. I told her it was a one off and she told me to carry on :) I assume the same applies to you.

Trimming a headge, cutting down a tree, removing a large plant, some wooden furniture. People with gardens do that you know ;)

thanks for the replies,wasnt sure but now i am. although it wasnt me who was having the fire during the day it was my neighbours, we'v alway been led to believe you wait til

night time,i wont worry about that though next time.

Yes, best not to have too many bonfires, but the time to have one would be when the neighbours are having a barbeque!

Well the prat down the road has had a bonfire going for a couple of hours now and my neighbour's washing is going to need doing again.