When to have a garden fire

can anyone tell me about having a fire in your garden, is it illegal or just inconsideratre, i always thought you couldnt have a fire until after 6-7 in evening.

yes, I think you are right about the time, but as far as I am aware, there is no law against it, as long as you check your neighbours don't have washing out first, you should be OK.

one of my neighbours keeps having a big fire and i have a white car!!! what can be done about it?

I agree if possible I would avoid doing it when others have washing out, at the weekend (if it's nice)and on any other hot day when people are likely to have all their windows open.

one of my neighbours keeps having a big fire and i have a white car!!! what can be done about it?

You could have it resprayed a different colour.

It used to be fine to have a fire after 7pm as far as I know.

You could have it resprayed a different colour.

i asked for that one didnt i? lol

they always seem to have a fire when i just washed the car too! nice soot particles all over it

Not that very helpful - but this is from the council website:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/air-pollution/smoke/bonfires

It says:

"Bonfire Nuisance and how to deal with it - Bonfires and the Law

It is a common misconception that there are specific by-laws to prohibit bonfires ¡ there are not. An outright ban would be difficult to enforce and very occasionally a bonfire is the best practical way to dispose of garden waste. If used sensitively the occasional bonfire should not cause a major problem. However, where a neighbour is causing a problem by burning rubbish, the law can be used for your protection.

What is a Nuisance?

A nuisance can be described as something happening on one premises which is significantly interfering with the enjoyment of another premises.

The important point in this simple definition, is that the interference has to be significant. We all must realise that living in society we must put up with some inconvenience.

Most nuisance are dealt with under civil law however the Environmental Protection 1990 defines a number of statutory nuisances these include:

Smoke, fumes or gasses emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance.

This definition can cover garden bonfires, burning domestic rubbish, burning commercial waste.

Smoke being emitted from chimneys is dealt with under separate legislation.

In practice to be considered to be a statutory nuisance a bonfire would have to be a persistent problem interfering substantially with your wellbeing, comfort or enjoyment of your property.

Although statutory investigation can be undertaken an informal approach to your neighbour would normally be the first step.

"

i asked for that one didnt i? lol

they always seem to have a fire when i just washed the car too! nice soot particles all over it

Sorry, glad you took it in good humour, I couldn't resist it!

Perhaps you could ask them to let you know next time they have a burn so you could shift the car away for an hour or two?

can anyone tell me about having a fire in your garden, is it illegal or just inconsideratre, i always thought you couldnt have a fire until after 6-7 in evening.

You can only have one on November 5th after sundown.