St Marys Church Murder - photo

Yoawch I thought this was an urban myth! In 1977 I was working as an apprentice and went with my colleague to do some work there. We tipped up and the lady was securely locked in the office and wouldn't open the door until we'd shown her ID and paperwork for the job we'd come to do. As a callow lad, I suggested to my hoppo that she may have been a bit of a nutjob, but he told me (he lived on Cough Rd round the corner at the time) how her predecessor had been cleaning up when a b*&*&ck naked chap trotted up behind her with an axe. I've never heard much more than anecdotes about this

Yoawch I thought this was an urban myth! In 1977 I was working as an apprentice and went with my colleague to do some work there. We tipped up and the lady was securely locked in the office and wouldn't open the door until we'd shown her ID and paperwork for the job we'd come to do. As a callow lad, I suggested to my hoppo that she may have been a bit of a nutjob, but he told me (he lived on Cough Rd round the corner at the time) how her predecessor had been cleaning up when a b*&*&ck naked chap trotted up behind her with an axe. I've never heard much more than anecdotes about this

There was definatley no axe involved. I am sure my dad said she had been beaten with a Bible & or he had jumped up and down on her head.

Thanks Lostrider, not sure that makes it any better, as an atheist, I'd prefer the axe! Was he naked? If so I'd have taken my chance with the bare feet.

As I said, I was completely unaware at the time and it was 31 ish years ago, but I can still remember how nervous and tense she was. We both had to press ID to the glass and show her the works instruction before she would open the door (internal, half glazed with about 3mm glass - axe/bible/nutjob proof?)

p.s. It may have partly been due to my appearance (wild eyed hairy etc)

p.p.s.

Is that an F style mando I see?

Don't want to upset anyone, but accuracy is better than speculation (i.e. my memories) so I have written to St Mary's to see if they have any info.

Apologies to the victim's family members on this thread for my frivolity in what is a tragic event.

There is a death registration for this:

Lily HAYTHORNE age 59, Sheffield, Jan/Feb/March Qtr. 1969 so the date of December 1968 would suggest that this could be the lady in question.

Duffems

it is correct.she was my ex hubbies(DAZZLERdaz)nan and lostrider is right he jumped up and down on her.lily haythorne was her name.

p.p.s.

Is that an F style mando I see?

Yes it is, but I have an A style (must change the avatar).

Don't want to upset anyone, but accuracy is better than speculation (i.e. my memories) so I have written to St Mary's to see if they have any info.

Apologies to the victim's family members on this thread for my frivolity in what is a tragic event.

HI Eldonsmith

Did you get a reply to your letter?

hi,the lady was sum relation to my late grandma, and the blck man was trying to sacrafice a child, and the lady tried to stop him and thats when he killed her, so ive heard

hi,the lady was sum relation to my late grandma, and the blck man was trying to sacrafice a child, and the lady tried to stop him and thats when he killed her, so ive heard

I think this is a Myth. My Dad never mentioned anything about a child being involved.

NB

I have mended the broken link to the photo.

no its definatley not a myth, he was trying to sacrafice a young boy, he was wearing some kind of loin robe type of thing and he ran off with a bible in his hand up london road. i will find out and more and post it