Soldier traveling without credentials

In the Star tonight is a story of a soldier traveling to Sheffield from either the Gulf Area or his base without his correct travel documents and the trains ticket collector requested him to either the pay the correct fair or leave the train at Chesterfield.

What I cannot understand is. Why wasn't he carrying his AB64.

In my conscription army day's, I could not leave my camp without it.

Don't they have one these days?

By his own admission he was kicking off and swearing at the train guard too...Think it was fair enough he was asked to pay full fair, and to be honest if he was swearing and being abusive he should have been thrown off the train anyway. I appreciate the fact that he's been serving his country, but not an excuse for bad behaviour. Anyway, it should hardly be the main news item on Star online. Talk about inflating a story...

Allegedly:

He had suffered delays and so the barracks were closed.

He chose to get a train without his gear and after being queried he verbally abused the conductor.

It was for this that he was put off the train.

Read the story on front page of The Star tonight. He said "my best mate might have just been killed for all they know" or similar. So what if he's in army gear? Anybody in plain clothes on the train could have suffered such a recent bereavement. Why should he have been treated any differently than any other non paying passengers??? He might have had a more sympathetic reaction if he'd not doled out the verbal abuse.

some of you are forgetting he has been in a war zone for 6 months his life in constant danger and he had been traveling 3 days to come home. I`d have done the same he is a guy wanting to get home to his family and he gets a bloke on a power trip having ago at him. He had full uniform and all his gear so anyone with comon sense can see he`s in the forces.

if thats how we treat our forces thats sad.

Oh boo hoo and he should have a basic grasp of how to conduct himself in public instead of discracing the uniform of his country.

some of you are forgetting he has been in a war zone for 6 months his life in constant danger and he had been traveling 3 days to come home. I`d have done the same he is a guy wanting to get home to his family and he gets a bloke on a power trip having ago at him. He had full uniform and all his gear so anyone with comon sense can see he`s in the forces.

Ticket inspectors are on power trips if they want to see a ticket or valid travel documentation?

Ticket inspectors are on power trips if they want to see a ticket or valid travel documentation?

I agree that some are, but most are very resonable. I've been in the 'lost' or 'wrong' ticket situation before and the inspectors have taken my details/given me the benefit of the doubt.

A passenger shouting the odds, whether dressed in army clobber or not is not going to get a good outcome, and why should they?

Sorry Cyclone, just re-read your post and saw the question mark :blush:

In the Star tonight is a story of a soldier traveling to Sheffield from either the Gulf Area or his base without his correct travel documents and the trains ticket collector requested him to either the pay the correct fair or leave the train at Chesterfield.

What I cannot understand is. Why wasn't he carrying his AB64.

In my conscription army day's, I could not leave my camp without it.

Don't they have one these days?

It's common pratice, if you have your MOD90 but don't have your railcard - you pay full fare. It's just bad admin by the guy alas to lose his railcard, although dressed in dessies with CBA etc you think the conductor might cut him some slack, but he's doing no wrong by not.

So if I wander around in an Army uniform I should expect free transport?

The ticket collector was doing his job, I don't see how thats being "on a power trip"

Well, coppers get free transport by just flashing their warrant cards...but that's a different discussion.

I think the problem a lot of people have is the attitude of the inspector, ie "its not as if you've taken a bullet".. what a chimp.