Where was the hippodrome in Sheffield

Saw a few films there, most memorable being Jailhouse Rock about 1958.

I was there too. Can't remember seeing you!! - could have been a different night I suppose. LOL

Remember my mum telling me that a lion once escaped from the Hippodrome when a circus was there sometime pre-war. The story went that it passed a woman cleaning in the foyer. Can anyone confirm this ?

my mum,87 on sunday,said today she won a dance competition at the hippo doing the charlstone, i asked her where the hippo was,and she didnt know, i do remember going ,but cant think where it was,i know it was in town somewhere ,either fargate or diviision st.

The hippo was on Cambridge St, I remember going in the Gods as they called it, when it was a cinema

:love:

my mum,87 on sunday,said today she won a dance competition at the hippo doing the charlstone, i asked her where the hippo was,and she didnt know, i do remember going ,but cant think where it was,i know it was in town somewhere ,either fargate or diviision st.

The hippo was on Cambridge St, I remember going in the Gods as they called it, when it was a cinema

I remember patrons in the central stalls getting soaked with rain water when the roof was opened at the interval - following a thunderstorm!

Ah, the “gods”!

A scary place for a first timer. To get to your seat it was like walking along a cliff ledge, if you looked down. I still have dreams about it!

Today, they would be forced to have seat belts on those seats!

10 hours ago, trastrick said:

Ah, the “gods”!

A scary place for a first timer. To get to your seat it was like walking along a cliff ledge, if you looked down. I still have dreams about it!

Today, they would be forced to have seat belts on those seats!

Just jog my memory please, am I right in thinking the gods didn't  have proper seats but they were like wooden forms or wooden steps.

I seem to remember something like this but not sure if it was the Hippodrome. 

I believe you are correct. My early memories of the Hippo  get mixed up with the Empire, a similar building.

Amazing what those old theaters could do. I remember a circus at the Empire with lions and elephants and all.

Edited by trastrick

What I remember about the Hippodrome was the cone shaped fire extinguishers on the wall of the long narrow corridor/ stairway leading to the gods.l think the instruction were to invert the extinguisher and strike the end I can still see them now.I don’t Romberg what I went to see or the date, just the fire extinguisher.

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 11:19, Bryan Morgan said:

I remember patrons in the central stalls getting soaked with rain water when the roof was opened at the interval - following a thunderstorm!

I recall reading once on SF from a regular of that cinema regarding when the retracting roof was opened. In the summer time to 'air' the place out, that as the roof was being opened, several pounds of old pigeon excrement was discharged onto the unsuspecting patrons below.

I thought the Hippodrome was in Barkers pool , where Cole Brothers was.