Where was the hippodrome in Sheffield

IMO the hippodrome should have had the same treatment as the Lyceum the gods had to be sat in to see the full splendour of the place. One piece of Sheffields heritage that should have stayed put. just for steved

colin hicks never appeared there it was the Empire on the same bill as marty wilde and joe brown

You're right ricky36, I've just spoken to my older brother who took me and he confirmed that it was the Empire.He in fact got Marty Wilde's autograph that night. Neither of us can remember the year. Can you? Please let me know if you can.

You're right ricky36, I've just spoken to my older brother who took me and he confirmed that it was the Empire.He in fact got Marty Wilde's autograph that night. Neither of us can remember the year. Can you? Please let me know if you can.

the year was to the best of my knowledge 1958 but ???????? you get what I mean

I remember when the 3D movies were introduced, me and a mate went to see, 'Horrors of the Wax Museum', I think it was. The programme was continuous, and when we got to the place where we'd started, we made our way to one of the downstairs exits at the front. I happened to glance at the audience, all wearing the glasses. That was funny.

This was at the Hippodrome, I forgot to say.

'The Gods' must have been the steepest balcony in any theatre in Sheffield.

At the bottom of each set of steps there were large brass tubular handrails to stop anyone falling over the balcony.

I used to be frightened to death walking down those steps.

The seating was like sitting on cushioned steps and when it was a popular film everyone was crushed together.

Happy Days!

.I believe the last film they had there was "Gone With The Wind".

I can confirm that this was the last film; I was there on the last night in 1962. At the end of the film the manager got up and made a short speech, then everyone in the audience sang Auld Lang Syne, including some people who had been there on the opening night in 1907.

Brings back memories..THE GODS OH YES...my old friend DON BAKER ex de la salle and working in a Butchers shop at Wadsley Bridge last time I saw him 45 years ago..We went and made nuisances of ourselves..OF COURSE..Ice lollies thrown down from the back row..Always popular if the movie was bad..

The were kept busy running all over the show throwing offenders out..House of Wax 3D great laugh.. Those were the days ..Entrance to the Gods round the back... P K. cape town

I recall that Cambridge Street and in particular, The Barleycorn used to be a popular venue for ladies of the night.

I recall that Cambridge Street and in particular, The Barleycorn used to be a popular venue for ladies of the night.

Yes but thats when we were older..They were a well worn lot. Not really ladies and night time had nothing to do with it..They worked all the opening hours..Still I catch your drift!!!

For some reason, I can't remember why as it was around 60 years ago, the Hippodrome was one of my favourite cinemas, the other one was The Palace, Union Street. I remember seeing "Calamity Jane" at the Hippodrome on a temporary screen propped up on one side of the stage and I have queued for hours outside often in the pouring rain. I saw the "house of wax" in 3D there in the 50's as well.

Th Palace was a comfortable venue but you had to be careful where you sat as there were supporting pillars for the balcony which obstructed the view. The showed the first cinemascope film there as well, "The Robe", an odd choice for cinemascope because of those pillars!!

I used to go to the Hippodrome quite a lot last film I saw was 'The Circus of Horrors'.

It used to have a sliding roof which could be pulled back to let fresh air in - vital in those days when just about everyone smoked!

...and folk only had a bath once a week and some less often than that :hihi:

I never went to the Hippodrome but did visit the Barleycorn occasionally, I recall most of the 'ladies' were old enough to be my mother ;)

The hippodrome was a wonderful old music hall, as was the Empire. They should have been preserved as another poster has commented. I seem to remember there was public disquiet when these places were torn down, but unfortunately, outrage would have been needed to save them from the wrecker's ball.