Where was the hippodrome in Sheffield

my mum,87 on sunday,said today she won a dance competition at the hippo doing the charlstone, i asked her where the hippo was,and she didnt know, i do remember going ,but cant think where it was,i know it was in town somewhere ,either fargate or diviision st.

According to Bryen Hillerby's book "The Lost Theatres of Sheffield", The Hippodrome was in Cambridge St. It opened in 1907, became a cinema in 1931 and closed in 1962.

Hugh

The Hippodrome was down at the bottom of the Rd, that runs down the side of Coles. I cannot remember dancing there but remember queuing to get into the pictures, we queued down a sort of alley way. Great place for meeting evrybody that you knew and some that you didn't.

Hazel

I used to go to the Hippodrome quite a lot last film I saw was 'The Circus of Horrors'.

It used to have a sliding roof which could be pulled back to let fresh air in - vital in those days when just about everyone smoked!

my mum,87 on sunday,said today she won a dance competition at the hippo doing the charlstone, i asked her where the hippo was,and she didnt know, i do remember going ,but cant think where it was,i know it was in town somewhere ,either fargate or diviision st.

The Hippodrome was on Cambridge Street, went there myself on many occassions.

I went to the Hippodrome lots of times in the GODS that they had there.I believe the last film they had there was "Gone With The Wind".

Couldn't afford to see Tommy Steele so saw his brother Colin Hicks there.

IMO the hippodrome should have had the same treatment as the Lyceum the gods had to be sat in to see the full splendour of the place. One piece of Sheffields heritage that should have stayed put. just for steved

colin hicks never appeared there it was the Empire on the same bill as marty wilde and joe brown

Saw a few films there, most memorable being Jailhouse Rock about 1958.

Yes,I went up in the Gods at the Hippo,simply because they were the cheapest seats,and you were certainly up in the stratasphere. Another popular cinema in by-gone days was the Central, situated on the Moor. Remember in 1939 when "Gone with the wind" came to town. There were queues all round the block all the time it was showing. Mind you,there was no TV in those days of course.

The Hippodrome was unique as it had a sliding roof which could be opened during hot summer evenings (after dark of course).

i can remember going to the hippodrme when i was a little girl it was on cambridge .i went with my mum to see tommy steel in tommy the toridor