Adam Sandler: Talentless waster or comic genius?

Don't Mess With the Zohan is out this friday but wondered what people thought of Adam Sandler. I always thought he was a no talent wastrel but liked him very much in punch drunk love and am now willing to give him another chnace

what do others think?

He is a great actor trapped in the guise of a pathetic comic. Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me both show what great potential he has, if only he would stop surrounding himself with sycophants (Rob Schneider for example) who keep telling him how amazingly funny he is. ALL of his so called comedies are utter tripe - including Wedding Singer (which has the terrible misfortune of also starring the equally unfunny Drew Barrymore). As for Zohan, the trailer is painful enough, and thankfully this year is my 'Sandler-free' year, so I don't have to watch the full film (as mentioned on other threads I have a vow to watch a Sandler film every 2 years just so I can justify saying he is rubbish - otherwise some smart ass will insist that "He is much better these days!". Last year, luckily, saw Reign Over Me released first).

I think, as seen in films like Reign Over Me, he CAN act, but he always seems to go for easy, play the fool roles.

Hated the stupid voice he did in his early films.

I like Billy Madison. It makes me laugh. There, I said it.

Happy Gilmore. I like it. The rest... meh.

I once went to see The Wedding Singer at the cinema with a girlfriend and it was the fact that I actually had to explain to her what was happening, right through the film, (see also Who's that Girl?) which suggested the relationship might not have longevity, gorgeous though she was.

There are few words more likely to make me choose not to watch a film than 'Adam' and 'Sandler'.

I think he`s hilarious.

Watched "I now pronounce you chuck and larry" last night and almos peed myself laughing:hihi:

Also loved him in "Little nicky"

Happy Gilmore. I like it. The rest... meh.

I didn't think I'd like Happy Gilmore but it was entertaining and he had a good strong character.