Eating and Drinking for a Weekend Visit

I'm visiting Sheffield for the first time in about 5 years next month and would like some help please on where to go!!! Don't want to look like a real thicky, especially as I lived there for three yeras!

I used to go to a lovely restaurant called K Pasa on Glossop Road, is it still open and is it still good? Also is the Forum still a cool bar or has fashion moved on..................?

Thanks for any help, don't want to feel like a has-been!

Lizzy

Hi,

Yes K Pasa is still on Glossop Road, but personally I don't rate it as highly as the Italian on the otherside of the road. It's called Piccolos and it's a small, friendly place. The Forum is still open too and not a bad place.

http://www.sheffieldrestaurant.co.uk - might help

:D

You may remember the Blue Moon cafe in town, it was just off Fargate. Well it's moved to a much bigger place next to the cathedral. They do fantastic vegetarian food, and whether a vege or not it's a great place to have lunch.

There's also a Noodle bar on London road. It's a proper one too, not part of some fancy chain. Huge plates of amazing food and realy good value. You can take wine too.

Yum.

Sack off all the above and go to Thyme. The only decent-ish restaurant in Sheffield.

Why can't this town have "proper" restaurants? With decent waiting staff and a maitre d' who knows what his job description is? Even Thyme suffers from the "bit of an eejit" northerner pretending to be maitre d'/ your mate.

no thymes food is not fork compatible: croutons to crunchy to prod, rocket leaves to stringy to cut (with blunt knife) and seafood that resembles what it was like whole - although mr meades (bbc2 meades eats) would favour that. theres loads of cutlery compatible places to eat but i'm sorry Malika, i woud say the vietnamese noodle bar isn't one of them.

i reccommend: (all based on various merits)

city centre:

blue moon cafe

mad greek (if u v.hungry)

cubana

shieks

bb's (good group option)

eccy rd and around:

slammers

the mediterranean

London rd and further:

kumquat mae

rossis (not been for years)

la scala

the blue room (haven't actually been yet, a mere technicality)

wicker:

marcias

mangla

anyone recommend any others?

whoops got a bit excited then.

anyway who needs a maitre dee when you have good company? theres nothing more annoying than staff who come over and check on you every 5 mins, topping up your wine and 'is everything alright for you?' if it wasn't i'd bloody well let them know and if it was minging, their rhetorical question and smile would probably just catch me off guard and i'd smile sweetly back in a hypnotic fashion.

i do sympathise tho as i used to get forced by my head waiter to crumb down after each course and practically babysit the guests.

Originally posted by "geoffbowen"

Piccolos [is] a small, friendly place.

I'll second that - very friendly staff, and delicious food :D

Bahn nah in broomhill is the very best Thai restaurant in the area - and Will Self's favourite place to eat, supposedly.

no thymes food is not fork compatible: croutons to crunchy to prod, rocket leaves to stringy to cut (with blunt knife) and seafood that resembles what it was like whole - although mr meades (bbc2 meades eats) would favour that. theres loads of cutlery compatible places to eat but i'm sorry Malika, i woud say the vietnamese noodle bar isn't one of them.

i reccommend: (all based on various merits)

city centre:

blue moon cafe

mad greek (if u v.hungry)

cubana

shieks

bb's (good group option)

eccy rd and around:

slammers

the mediterranean

London rd and further:

kumquat mae

rossis (not been for years)

la scala

the blue room (haven't actually been yet, a mere technicality)

wicker:

marcias

mangla

anyone recommend any others?

- Great too see most of these fantastic establishments still going!