Do you think the kids have too much time off on holidays from school?

Gee thanks for the abuse. I put forward a reasoned point and have this hurled back. GROW UP and discuss - abuse is not reasoned or rational discussion.

Thats not abuse, I've not directly insulted or abused you! I have insinuated that you have a problem with the commitment associated with having to provision for your kid coming out of School before you come out of work, and have more time off - hence making it more inconvenient for parents who both want to work full time. Sometimes this is necessary and it can be hard on families that are struggling - but this reads as, 'lets make kids do 40 hours too so we don't have our careers sacrificed in anyway!'

Kids are different to adults. They can't cope with 40 hour weeks and 5 weeks holiday! Maybe their is an argument for making them do more hours when they hit the latter stages of Secondary School - a staggered approach but going by your argument we should make babies and young Children stay up until 10 or 11 at night so they don't get too much sleep? Why do you think we don't do this. Why do young kids get put to bed earlier. Ask yourself this then see your argument crumble....

people shouldn't have kids if they cant be there for them that's what's wrong with society now is the rise of latch key kids

So you'd like your 5 year old child to do a 40 hour week so that they are prepared.

The fact that they aren't an adult and are actually a child doesn't matter then?

I'll just point out, like I did earlier, that at my school we did have a 40 hour week. We were in registration from 08:30 and lessons finished at 17:45, Monday to Friday. We then did 09:00 to 15:30 on a Saturday. And, of course, an hour and a half's worth of prep every night Monday to Friday, as well.

I'll also point out that we got at least 20 weeks off over the year - presumably to compensate for working us into the ground during the term.

I don't think that, given the hours we worked, reducing the holiday time would have been in any way feasible. It was tough enough as it was.

ETA: I know I called it stupid in my earlier post. It was stupid. The whole bloomin' system was stupid.

I'll just point out, like I did earlier, that at my school we did have a 40 hour week. We were in registration from 08:30 and lessons finished at 17:45, Monday to Friday. We then did 09:00 to 15:30 on a Saturday. And, of course, an hour and a half's worth of prep every night Monday to Friday, as well.

I'll also point out that we got at least 20 weeks off over the year - presumably to compensate for working us into the ground during the term.

I don't think that, given the hours we worked, reducing the holiday time would have been in any way feasible. It was tough enough as it was.

ETA: I know I called it stupid in my earlier post. It was stupid. The whole bloomin' system was stupid.

Boarding school?

Do you think it's a better or worse system (in terms of length of days and holidays) than state school?

Was it from the age of 5?

Boarding school?

Do you think it's a better or worse system (in terms of length of days and holidays) than state school?

Was it from the age of 5?

Of course boarding school! But the day pupils had the same lesson and prep hours, and Saturday school.

And no, it wasn't from age 5, I should have made that clear as well. It was from age 11/12.

I don't know if it's a better or worse system. I would have preferred the state school system, personally, which I why I chose to leave after GCSEs and do my A levels at sixth form college.

In the interests of fairness, though, while I thought the place was a semi-fascist breeding ground for rabid Tories, my brother had a wonderful time there, the facilities were superb, the exam results are off the charts...etc, etc. And all for the bargain price of several thousand pounds a term! [/sarcasm mode off]

No school holidays are long enough in my opinion, I have 5 children,one has left school and one is too young to attend yet,but my middle 3 are in school and I LOVE the holidays, I really look forward to each holiday to spend some real time with them.

I never did.

Well not everyones like you are they??

Well not everyones like you are they??

No, and neither are they like you :) You were the one who started the "I ..." responses.

Thats not abuse, I've not directly insulted or abused you! I have insinuated that you have a problem with the commitment associated with having to provision for your kid coming out of School before you come out of work, and have more time off

Well why not put it in this form of reasoned discussion in the first place then.

There was a time, not too long ago when I used to visit Sheffield forum regularly. Then the thought police turned up with the simple response to everything being to infer that you had no right to profess or hold an opinion and that they would use sarcasm and abuse to debunk anything with which they disagreed. All this has resulted in is a number of forummers clearing off for protracted periods, as I shall do again now.

I do not expect society to "wipe my arse", but equally I do not expect my arse (wiped or unwiped) to be part of any discussion about school hours or holidays!

NO way let them carry on hanging on our street causing trouble, bless em :) nowt to do round here except cause trouble, god i fell sorry for them.

My feeling is that 6 weeks per year should be ample time off for children, and also that the school day should be re-timed to be from 8.45 to 5.30. In this way the kids are brought up with a realistic expectation as to the hours that will be expected when they start work, and also school hours would actually fit around working hours.

Why not cut out the middle man and just get them desk jockeying from the age of 4?

I think the hols are just fine but then i work in a school ;) but one of the reasons i wanted to work in a school was so i could also enjoy my own kids company in the hols too. ( please note it is only 1 reason i wanted to work in school not the only reason)