Rewire or new heating first?

Does it matter? Think we're going to have both done, and we're not sure which is best to do first or if it doesn't make any difference. Would love to hear any advice or experiences....

Thanks

I can't think of any pressing reason one should be done before the other. They both run under the floors though, so doing both at once might minimise the disruption.

Rewires tend to be quite messy especially if you're getting new cables running up the walls all over the place, lots of lovely brick dust to contend with.

I've had a partial rewire recently and a couple of years ago had my centtral heating done, the wiring was the most disruptive and I think the workmen appreciated the fact that I'd packed as much stuff away making moving the odd bit of furniture to roll the carpet up or get at a particular bit of wall a lot easier.

Guest pegmosaic

Id go for the new heating first, as this will cause less mess, when you have a re - wire you will almost cerainly have do do some re - plastering which is messy, and you dont want to have to disturb it again. If you need a good plumber i can recomend Fred Henderson of FG Henderson. his number is 0114 265 8380 or 07885634294.

Do the heating first. Winter is around the corner and a duff boiler is no fun in the middle of winter. The rewire is much more messy but at least you will be warm in the mess!

Thanks guys - good suggestions. Will chase my quotes and get heating done as soon as I can! Might have to see if we can stretch to some short term storage (or speak very nicely to friends with lofts) though as we've barely got any storage space to pack stuff that's not needed out the way!

it will be cheaper if you can get them done at the same time and minimise the mess you will have to endure . If you want a price for getting them both done , give me a call.

there is very little disruption with a heating install, the re-wire is a major upheaval,

i would re-wire then fit heating. :)

if you're planning to do both why get the floors up , put them back down , put flooring back down , get your furniture back in just to take it all back up again . Seems pretty silly to me . Get them done at the same time , job done.

the heating and the electrics should be in fitted in different board runs,but yes in theory i agree with what you say cbr900 in the real world a plumber likes to get his head down and get the job done an electrician likes to drink tea and generally whine how hard done to he is,

i prefer to keep the 2 trades a world apart, its like chalk and cheese plumbers and electricians just dont get on.

to put them together in a house is asking for trouble they only get in each other way and to be honest with all that brick dust flying around why get all your tools dusty for the sake of waiting a couple of days.

i personally would not want to work in a house with 3 electricians at the same time. as ever just an opinion.

In me experience of house refurbs and extensions , it's the plumbers that we have to kick up the backside because of that very reason . It's usually the plumbers that are moaning about other people being in the way !!!! . I am fortunate enough that I use an electrician that is more than happy to work along side me and the gas fitter.

A little view into the world of inter trade rivalry.