Black Swan Pub

Can anyone recall Cockers best gig? Arbourthorne Hotel, Chris Stainton, bass. Vernon Nash, organ. Tommy Eyre, cant remember the others. Help my failing memory.

Saw Joe Cocker at the Arena on his last visit. I was unsure how much time would have taken toll of the great man. The previous "live" show I saw him in was "The" show at The Black Swan just as he went to number 1 with With a Little Help. My fears were unfounded. He gave a note perfect performance. Not bad for a Sheffield pensioner. Long live Joe.

My wife and I will be in London in mid-January and I'll try to check some historical clubs clash played in the 70s and 80s. I have a book that says the first concert was played by The Clash at The Swan in Sheffield on July 4, 1976 with the Sex Pistols...

Is it true that the Boardwalk is shut forever?

I heard it got repossessed or something...

Obviously the best thing any would be buyer could do would be to reopen...business as usual!

Two bands who played regularly not mentioned so far were Amazing Blondel and Welsh rockers Man who had Terry Williams on drums he went on to play for Dire Straights. I saw Man at the boardwalk about 8-9 years ago just after Micky Jones brain hemorrhage and was delighted to see Terry Williams back behind the kit

One of the greatest acts ever to appear at the Duck was "Mighty Melvin Shakespeare" go go dancer extraordinaire nobody has mentioned any of the great comedy acts to appear some of the comedians at that time went on to make the big time i remember Jim Bowen of Bullseye fame on stage one Sat dinner plus many many more.

Never forgot Harry Bendon's impersonation of a white eared elephant!!!

yes my father is still alive and living in grimsby - nicola steeples

Many happy memories of Terry and times spent in the Black Swan. Great place, wonderful people, but terrible beer. If Terry is still with us thank him for being a good part of my youth. A great man.

Many happy memories of Terry and times spent in the Black Swan. Great place, wonderful people, but terrible beer. If Terry is still with us thank him for being a good part of my youth. A great man.

same here ,loved monday afternoons watching various groups and drinking the crap beer,good days.anyone remember a patricia grainger.

Edited by ablade

comedian Ron Delta used to let rip with bad language but hey what a great place for entertainment in the 60/70s

Robert Palmer sang with Vinegar Joe, really sad news about him this week.

I also saw him when he fronted the Alan Bown Set late sixties.

Fortunes were mainly from Sheffield, Shiregreen I think.

Andy

Elkie Brooks was with Vinigar Joe as well.

Hi Roysboy, I think i still have the record you made with the Sheffields, somwhere in the loft, " SCATWALK" brilliant record

Chris Wilson,

Noticed this thread today and the originator was Chris Wilson back in 2003, where he mentioned Wilko Johnson who played at the Boardwalk.

Came across Wilko Johnson about 12 years ago at Skegness , and this band is at another level, so when my mate Slotter of Sheffield saw the booking at Boardwalk Nov 2008 I was over from Wales sharpish .

Anyone out there likes Rock/Blues ,this is the man ,well accompanied by ex Blockhead bassist Norman Watt-Roy--- Brilliant

Recently I have missed him at Llangollen , up the road from me and at Driffield , where Slotts and I had the weekend booked at Whitby for 60's weekender .

The Boardwalk was brilliant for bands and a shame on its demise.

Gary Marshman

North Wales