Black Swan Pub

Originally posted by Andyman

Don't think so. Be Bop Deluxe was in fact one guy from Wakefield with a couple of session men.

Not Tod's style at all.

Andy

The frontman was Bill Nelson later of Bill Nelsons Red Noise. Saw him when he played the City Hall around 1976.

I saw many of the groups already mentioned, in 1974-77, but one of the best, which was missing from your list, was "Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias", about ten guys from Manchester who were a kind of parody group. They did take-offs of Bob Marley, Dr Feelgood and others, and the highlight of their set was Jimi Hendrix Live at Woodstock playing The Archers' Theme. One of them was called CP Lee (I think) and Chas Jankel may or may not have been with them at one time. Aaah Happy Days !!

Tonight I will drink to the memory of Terry Steeples

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

I'm compiling a list of acts to have played The Boardwalk (Black Swan / Mucky Duck) on Snig Hill in Sheffield over the years and need help!

Status Quo appeared at The Black Swan in 1971.

Hi Chris

I saw the Sex pistols at the black swan around 1975/76

Before they were famous ,only a handful of people were there

and i'm glad to say i was one of em

Hi Chris!

Bees Make Honey - 1974

Chilli Willi & the Red Hot Peppers - 1973/4

Jack the Lad - 1973/4

Fusion Orchestra - 1974

Sassafras - 1974

Deaf School (with Bette Bright, Suggs' wife) - 1974

The Winkies

Beckett

Cheers

Jeff

yes chris I remember " Black Swan" when it first opened my father used to "wait on" at the time and Terry Steeples used to be the manager I used to go in the late sixties and, yesI saw Joe Cocker and his Greasband "Patto" ( time box ), Bitter suite shape of the rain, paper lace and many more bands there was enertainment every night those days

remember the talent nights,my cousin, neville ford (cosmo),used to sing everyweek at mucky duck,my cherie amour,i left my heart in san fransisco,does anyone remember him,was killed after falling off the roof at daniel doncasters,i think most of the customers at the mucky duck came to his funeral.

Bill Nelson was yer man from Be Bop Deluxe....

Roy Young Band, Sassafras, Hackensack......

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

I'm compiling a list of acts to have played The Boardwalk (Black Swan / Mucky Duck) on Snig Hill in Sheffield over the years and need help! I remember going to see Vinegar Joe, Kilburn and The High Roads (later to become Ian Dury and The Blockheads), Dr Feelgood (Wilko Johnson still plays the Boardwalk and is now a very good friend of mine), Patto, Ducks Deluxe, Dick and The Firemen, Brinsley Schwartz feat. a very young Nick Lowe... my minds going fuzzy now!!

Also, if anyone has any info regarding the general history of the building it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris Wilson, Boardwalk Promoter.

The Dammed played there.

Chris can you kick the name boardwalk into touch. We will always know it has the Black Swan / Mucky Duck. In the same way as the Casbar (however it is spelt) will always be the Wopentake or Wop.

I'm the same as you Chris - the old grey matter fails me....it must be the Guinness. :)

Hi , bit of a long shot, but does anyone remember or heard of an organist ( who used to back bands in the mucky duck) called Freddy Benson, not sure of the exact time frame but probably late 1950's to 1960's. basically he's my grandad although i dont know much about him, thought this site might be a good place to start.

All the Best..Dave

Among many bands I also remember seeing Vinegar Joe at the Mucky Duck. Robert Palmer and Elkie Brooks were a good double vocal front. Pity she went all cabaret later. Think I also saw Stone the Crows, and Rod Argent and his band there. I also think I saw an excellent local Chesterfield band called Shape of the Rain there too.

Regards

Paul Norton