Black Swan Pub

Originally posted by Andyman

OK had some time to think and read my old cuttings.

During Terry Steeples days at the Black Swan here are some of the bands that played:

Bitter Suite, Chuck Fowler (the Killamarsh Killer), Frank White, Shape of the Rain, The Wolves, New Jersey Turnpike, O'Hara's Playboys. All local based.

Mud, Timebox, Sweet, Brinsley Schwartz, Argent, Wishbone Ash, Average White Band, Kilburn and the High Roads, Genesis, Patto, Vinegar Joe, If, Christie. All from further afield.

Perhaps most famously in July 1976 the Sex Pistols played and were supported by The Clash playing their first ever public gig. Although by then I think it was called the Compleat Angler.

Some bands eh????

Andy

Got an album still by Shape of the rain,

JUst diversifying. Use to see Joe Cocker there quite regular. Lost track of the history of the Grease band. What happened to Chris Stainton. fantastic musician.

I remember going to the mucky duck, it must have been one Shrove Tuesday in the early 70s as they were having a competition "pancake tossing" and being quite good at the latter in those days i won free beer for me and my mate all night, Good Times.

I did frequent the Merry England most sat night's, can any one remember the resident dancer Mighty Melvin? "Strange Dude" come to think of it we all must have looked strange with our platform shoes, flares, looms, tank tops, love beads and the hint of glitter in our hair, i believe i speak for the majority .

Originally posted by coyleys

I remember going to the mucky duck, it must have been one Shrove Tuesday in the early 70s as they were having a competition "pancake tossing" and being quite good at the latter in those days i won free beer for me and my mate all night, Good Times.

I did frequent the Merry England most sat night's, can any one remember the resident dancer Mighty Melvin? "Strange Dude" come to think of it we all must have looked strange with our platform shoes, flares, looms, tank tops, love beads and the hint of glitter in our hair, i believe i speak for the majority .

Interesting story about Mighty Melvin and a young woman called Kathy (think she was a stripper there). One halloween the manager of Samantha's on Queens Road. During the day with 2 other members of staff had been publicising the clubs Party that night. Around 10.00pm that night he came in like the Pied Piper ahead of an array of bodies in fancy dress. This included Melvin and Kathy in Bunny girl outfits. He took the into a private party in the party suite where Melvin cleared the floor by dancing on his own in the middle. Near the end he dropped his top down to show that it was a bloke in drag. Kathy pushed her way on danced and did the same but dropped into 2 guys laps on her back. The blokes didn't know where to put there hands to help her up.

There was hell to do after as the girl who's 18th birthday party it was went wild.

Did you see God? Todd Rundgren

Only just spotted this post (nearly 3 years late!)

Anyone else on here see Todd at the University student union in about '82?

A Band called The Alan Bown Set played at the Black Swan in the early 70's They did an Album called Outward Bown

Does anyone know where I can get the Shape of the Rain Album on CD CALLED Riley Riley Wood & Waggett Please ???

Does anyone know where I can get the Shape of the Rain Album on CD CALLED Riley Riley Wood & Waggett Please ???

Sorry sold mine to a lady on the Manor about 3 months ago.

Mine got "lost" when we moved house :suspect:

My husband used to go to see Elkie Brooks at the Mucky Duck - and this is the first time I have ever heard anyone else mention Patto - he has one of their L P's in a cupboard somewhere!

Am I halucinating, or was there a novelty glam band used to play there in the early '70's called 'The Light Fantastic'? Did a number that involved emerging from flaming coffins? Kinda like Sheffields answer to Arthur Brown?

Hi Roysboy56

Do you live near manor top now?