Presenter on radio sheffield

does anyone remember michael cook late of radio sheffield. he did a talk programme and could be very abrupt.was amusing too.

Yes, he could be a bit abrupt, but he had a very sharp wit and an extremely dry sense of humour.

Didn't he have Parkinson's Disease, or something?

He also used to present the Look North Sports Report on Saturday tea time telly with Eddie Waring. I mainly remember it as something you had to sit through before Dr Who came on.

I remember him, I was only wondering yesterday what became of him . He used to occasionally DJ at the Craisy Daisy (circa 1973 ?). He was a good presenter, in my opinion. It is coming back to me slowly, his name was Cooke, he wore rather large spectacles, but when he was DJ'ing he must have worn lenses.

He was still around in 1978.

Cookie was a real character, as you suggest PT, he sadly had Parkinsons.

He really used to put the cat amongst the pigeons on Radio Sheffield, he would get a good debate going, often taking the opposite side of the argument, seemingly just to be devils advocate.

Cookie was a real character, as you suggest PT, he sadly had Parkinsons.

He really used to put the cat amongst the pigeons on Radio Sheffield, he would get a good debate going, often taking the opposite side of the argument, seemingly just to be devils advocate.

Would you know roughly when he packed it in ?

Would you know roughly when he packed it in ?

a couple of years before he died....?

a couple of years before he died....?

Sorry, I didn't know he was dead.

Yes, sadly Michael Cooke is no longer with us. I had the pleasure of playing alongside him in Radio Sheffield's annual football match against Radio Hallam.

As said above, he presented the local region's soccer fates on Saturday's Look North. The 'abrupt' presentation came in a programme on Saturday morning. Michael didn't suffer fools and there were many occasions when callers went round in circles rather than making their point and giving others the chance to call.

The association I always remember about Michael was his passion for the theatre and he did some excellent work for Rotherham Rep. Couldn't put a year on when he died but he had suffered Parkinsons for some time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/image_galleries/radio_sheffield_archive_photos_gallery.shtml?41

Not many people know he used to be a vicar before working on the radio.

Michael Cooke moved into the house opposite mine back in the mid 70's (Stone Delf, Fulwood). Seemed strange at first seeing a TV regular so close on a daily basis, but what a nice guy :thumbsup: