Italian immigrants during the war.

The only ones i ever remember seeing loose and free were Italian POWs about 42-43 they would practice their English on us,all the area around Rivlin and whats that area with all the caves,moved to Leicester in46 lots of ex POWs a lot didn't go home (if at all) till 48ish we could see the German POWs through the wire at Lodge Moor I don't believe they was let wander till quite late early 45

I think it was at the end of 1945 (or even a bit later) that the Germans were allowed out of the camp. In December 1946 an announcement in The Star suggested that people might like to invite two German p.o.w.'s for Christmas. My grandfather (who remembered kindnesses shown to Tommies by Germans after the 1918 armistice) wrote to the camp commander, and Karl & Willi duly came for Christmas. Karl Fauser (1914-2002) became such a friend of the family that he was my godfather when I showed up in April 1948. Some of the Germans never went home (especially those from the East, or the Sudetenland) - I know of at least one who became an orderly at Lodge Moor Hospital. The same applied to the Italians, many of whom stayed here. Good blokes in the main, and I think Sheffield is much the richer for the Italians who settled here - whether it be the ice cream makers and organ grinders in the late 19th century or the p.o.w.'s half a century later.

My Gran had an Italian family living with them in Beighton during the war. I think they were moved up from London. She said they had to go to a local hall and choose a family to stay with them. My mum used to work for Molinaries Ice Cream. The family eventually became friendly with the Molinaries. Dont know any more than that.

My mate's mother had an affair with an Italian Prisoner of war who was at the Lodge Moor camp.

We used to follow her to their rendezvous which was in the woods at the back of the S bend at Rivelin.

We were young kids at the time and didn't really know the implications of what we were doing at the time, I don't think we ever saw them do anything.

She eventually had a daughter but we shall never know whether the father was her husband or the Italian.

The war created all sorts of situations and people thought completely different to today and had to adapt to the problems in life.

They are all dead now and so I do not mind writing about it.

Happy days! PopT

Hi ptrA

Yes I remember the family. I have a group photo with the 2 sisters taken in the Hodkin & Jones air raid shelter on Queens Rd in 1940/42 - it was a Christmas party. I wonder what happened to the family? The name was Del Mistro. I think one of the girls was called Amelia. Len.F

Amilia used to go to St Wilfrids school. Very nice looking girl.