Zimbabwean Dollars!

Right, We've got Zimbabwe with an inflation rate of 15000000%. A tin of Baked Beans currently costs $250000000000 - yes, thats about $250 BILLION zimbabwean dollars. Now - what I'm thinking is will the country ever sort itself out and will inflation come back down? I'd guessing they will just change the currency one day or change the legal tender, but imagine getting ones hands on some of the silly notes currently being printed and making millions in the future but holding onto a load for when sanity one day returns. Like I said, sure it's not that simple though..

but imagine getting ones hands on some of the silly notes currently being printed and making millions in the future but holding onto a load for when sanity one day returns.

A nice thought, but you're right; it's not that simple. The ten-thousand-billion-trillion-gazillion dollar notes are worthless now, and will remain worthless (except possibly as curiosities and collectables) if, and when, Zimbabwe finally sorts out its economy. As one part of that sorting-out, it would have to create an entirely new currency, for which the old notes will not be exchangeable.

They have baked beans over there???

They will probably have to have a new currency, as the Germans did when Papiermark inflation got so bad they issued 100,000,000,000,000 mark notes.

As others have said, the notes have no value other than historical.

For that price I hope they are Heinz and not cheap ones :)

Mod comment

If people can't keep things friendly, forum holidays may be issued.

EDIT to clarify... :rolleyes:

I have removed a couple of posts so this comment may seem out of place ;)

Do keep up MrNM.

If you had been taking a keener interest you would know that on 1st August the Zimbabwean Treasury revalued the currency by a factor of ten billion. :)

For that price I hope they are Heinz and not cheap ones :)

Well it does equate to about 1 US dollar so yeah, 60p in real terms for a tin of beans when your only paid about a quarter of that per week is a bit on top!

Do keep up MrNM.

If you had been taking a keener interest you would know that on 1st August the Zimbabwean Treasury revalued the currency by a factor of ten billion. :)

Best thing is if your having an all day bender in the pub and the price of drinks has gone up twice by the time last orders is called!! :hihi:

- by the way thats for real!

It's a shocking prospect isn't it! I'm unsure how the practicalities manifest themselves on day to day basis but I too have heard stories of huge price rises between walking in a shop, picking up a paper and then paying for it. Who on earth can make any sort of assessment of price and value under those conditions, so there is no wonder that everyone tries to hedge their bets.

The forthcoming political changes might bring some stability, but only time will tell I guess.

I horded my left over british pounds for years after each trip over for nearly 40 years, they came in handy, i'd cash them in for my next flight over each year....wish I had hung onto some now.

I think Chris Tarrent should host a Zimbabwean version of Who Want's to be a Millionaire? with a top prize of $1,000,000.