Family doctors of years gone by

Personally I try and avoid the medical profesion as much as possible, but we cant do without them. My one enduring memory, going back to pre Health Service days, was having to go and collect some cough medicine. This was from a Dr Olroyd, who's practice was at the top of Woodside Lane,Pitsmoor. I was only about nine or ten years old. I had to wait with the roomfull of patients, my name was called by someone and I went into another room, was given the bottle of medicine and was asked for half a crown.

About a month later you could get it for nothing. Now we pay again. Yep, we're going backwards alright.

no mate,we aren,t going backwards,if we were,it would be no trouble getting an appointment,or indeed,a home visit at any time,night or day.i think you mean its getting worse.

I'll never forget Dr Hart, our family doctor on Duke St, opposite where Talbot Place used to intersect it. As a small kid, I had chickenpox or some other such childhood ailment so I couldn't go out on Bonfire Nt. I watched the bonfire and fireworks, which were set up in the back yard, through a window. I got so excited that I actually put my head through the window, causing a big gash in my chin. dr. Hart came round to the house right way and stitched me up right on the kitchen table. I still have a small scar there now to remind me of those happy days when being a doctor meant more than a pay cheque.

• Like 1

I remember Dr Donnelley on Southey hill, he got me through a lot of childhood illnesses in the 60s and after he left there was never any doc who seemed to be as good as he was.

Guess what Jabbers, Dr Donnelley's partner Dr Boyle was our doctor back then :thumbsup: In 1963 I was pregnant with my second son and went to see him when I was just about due to have him. Anyway he thought it was an emergency I guess, because he drove me directly to the hospital, and left a roomful of patients waiting with their mouths open. Everything turned out fine as it happens, but hows that for dedication folks.

Are the 90s classed as years gone by? I hope so because Paul Jeavons from the surgery on Margetson shops... he was brilliant and I hope the people of that area are lucky enough to still have him there.

.............by coincidence Dr Jeavons has been my mams Doctor since the 60s (roughly)and today he does home visits with my mam as she's 92 years old and is housebound. Isn't that true dedication to your patient, he and others like him should be nominated for some kind of award, for going above and beyond the call of duty :thumbsup:

we were 3 generations of patients of the Mathews - Bob Mathew Senior and Bob Mathew Jnr!

Snr had a clinic (if I recollect) around Heeley/Abbeydale. Bob Mathews Jnr (not sure if he is still in practice) had the White Lane surgery at Gleadless.

Wonderful Doctors. Home visits at all hours part of the service.

.............by coincidence Dr Jeavons has been my mams Doctor since the 60s (roughly)and today he does home visits with my mam as she's 92 years old and is housebound. Isn't that true dedication to your patient, he and others like him should be nominated for some kind of award, for going above and beyond the call of duty :thumbsup:

I remember in the 90s, I had bad tendons in my hands and Dr Jeavons injected the base of each finger with a steroid. He placed my hand palm up on his couch, put the needle to the base of the finger, said "This wont hurt" Shoved the needle in and as he did that he said "Me at all"

Oh how I laughed....

Hes a great bloke and a bloody good doctor.

Ours was Dr Grundman , his office was in a house on Herries Rd. the front room was his waiting room, I always wondered if he lived in the house as well.

Our dentist was a Dr Ditchfield...great looking, both brothers.

we were 3 generations of patients of the Mathews - Bob Mathew Senior and Bob Mathew Jnr!

Snr had a clinic (if I recollect) around Heeley/Abbeydale. Bob Mathews Jnr (not sure if he is still in practice) had the White Lane surgery at Gleadless.

Wonderful Doctors. Home visits at all hours part of the service.

My grandfather born in 1900 went to school with one of the Dr.Matthews then had the benefit of his services followed by his son's. They had a practice just off London Road on the corner of probably Fieldhead Road.

Duffems