Family doctors of years gone by

We also had Drs Downie, Livingstone and O’Connell but on Prince of Wales Road. Dr Wells was also part of the team. Those were the days when you actually knew your Doctor and they knew you. The surgery was in a house. 

Dr Roper had a big posh black car when he had to visit our family in the 40's.  As the family doctor he knew my mum quite well.

Dr Rushbrook used to see to us in Crosspool 1950's followed by Dr Adam. Both very pleasant ladies.

Our first doctor in the 50s was Dr Pettigrew when he had a practice on Baslow Rd at Totley.

Judging by other posts in this thread the Pettigrews certainly got around. He was bald, tall, skinny and wore half spectacles. It was the days when they visited you as much as you visited them . He was assisted initially by Dr Crawford who was dapper and much younger then latterly they added Dr Mukherjee to the practice before moving up to Bocking Lane.

The other surgery on Baslow Rd was Dr Linfoot 

When we moved to Abbey Lane we initially had Dr Brimacombe but then moved to Woodseats Medical Centre on Cobnar Rd where Dr Stephen Wright was the main practitioner 

I am new to this thread. The first Doctor I can remember was Dr Botros. Apparently when I was very young (1946/7) I developed pneumonia. My Mom always told me that Dr Botros saved my life.  I think he had a surgery a couple of houses above the (then ) Essoldo picture house on Barnsley Road  down  from Sheffield Lane Top.

Up to me getting married in 1966 I used to go to the same surgery, but cannot remember who the Doctor was.

I used to go to Dr Patel at Heeley. A really good doctor. Only fault was he used to prune the roses in the surgery garden despite having a waiting room full of patients. Dr Sweeta took over from him. She was very good as well. 

My surgery has servedb4 generations of my family, I have seen a  good number of GP's come and go in that time. My gran was one of the first patientswhen Dr excell took over from Dr a Rippon and Chandler Carterknowle road.   I saw one if the 'old school' doctors a while ago and commented I wonder what Dr Excell would have made of the recent extensive alterations, and more recently that they seem not to do nights or weekends. When my mother had a heart attack the above old school Dr came to see her, he was still in his decorating clothes!  He gave me his home phone number to ring if her condition worsened, but came back of his own accord,sadly she died but he sat with us for quite a while..he was brilliant when my late husband was ill, and with me when I needed

Help to come to terms with it.  If he reads this I hope he knows how he helped me.  Sadly, along with many of the other 'old school' dr's have now retired mores the pity.  

On 12/09/2010 at 06:52, djmill said:

Wadsley Bridge doctors surgery had a father and son team, Dr Panniker and DR Peter Panniker, both were very nice. I think Dr Peter ( the son) married a doctor who also worked there (Dr female Panniker) and then their son Dr Andrew Panniker took over, so I heard. I only went a couple of times as a kid and the receptionist gave you a numbered card and you had to sit and wait til the people with lower numbers had been in then it was you turn, very depressing if you were number 28 at 8.00am when they had only just opened, where did the other 27 people appear from! It was a dark gloomy waiting room with just a few chairs and a table with a couple of mags, most people stood outside smoking and would stick their head round the door and say "has number 21 gone in yet?" to see where they were in the queue!

Dr Panniker was my GP from 1940’s to when I moved to Canada in 1966.

I heard his son committed suicide.Is this true?

6 hours ago, ken said:

Dr Panniker was my GP from 1940’s to when I moved to Canada in 1966.

I heard his son committed suicide.Is this true?

Yes it is true his son did commit suicide.  It was Dr Peter Panniker who committed suicide.  He took an overdose of tablets in a hotel just off the M1 motorway near Leeds. His  son Richard Panniker was at medical school when it happened took over the practice when he qualified as a Doctor, he has since retired. 

I can’t remember Peter Panniker very well but I was told he was a good Doctor.  I remember going into the surgery with my mum a few weeks after Peter’s death to see Doctor Claire who was Peter’s wife.  The   Receptionist asked everyone not to mention his death to her when they were called in to see her.  It was her first week back at work after his death.  

She only returned to work until her son Richard qualified as a Doctor and was able to take over the practice with his wife who was also a Doctor.

All three generations of Pannikers were good Doctor’s.