Family doctors of years gone by

............know what you mean re appointments!!! I went into the surgery last week (Wednesday) I can see the Dr on Friday this week. I told the receptionist, I would get somebody to cancel my appointment if I died before then!!!!!.... She didn't appreciate my wit(?)!!!

Also I find it easier to go to the surgery to get a repeat srcrip.. I am on cable and the 0844 calls cost a fortune, it starts charging as soon as it registers, then it is 1 for this 2 for that etc, same from my mobile.

Hetty ...have you asked if your surgery offers the option to order your repeat prescriptions online ? It's much simpler than a phone call or a trudge to the surgery. ....you just register for this option with the surgery and they'll issue you with a password .

I have repeats every month so I qualified for the block prescription option ...where my GP conducts a meds review every 6 months and then gives me 6 months prescriptions which I then take to my nominated chemist and I just call in and ask when I need one making up ....... much easier !! :)

Dr McCollum on Spencer Road really eccentric, used to ask for the money if he had to call the hospital for you, on home visits he abandoned his car in the middle of the road. When i was a child whatever I had it was "no PE" for 3 weeks. Used to write a note about what was wrong and say "now open your bag mother " and put it in my mothers handbag. Dr Dornan was there too he died and was replace by Dr K S Patel - wonderful man saw him for years

I wonder if that was the same Dr Dornan that ran the surgery on Oakland Road? Ther was also a Doctor Baker...........

I am sure I remember people smoking in the waiting room .. not a pleasant experience at all:gag:

Probably wrong but I think the lady Dr. was a Dr. Taylor.

The lady doctors name is Dr Edney and she is still there and I believe she is the senior partner now

I wonder if that was the same Dr Dornan that ran the surgery on Oakland Road? Ther was also a Doctor Baker...........

I am sure I remember people smoking in the waiting room .. not a pleasant experience at all:gag:

WE use to smoke in the pictures too, didn't we :)

I think it must have been the same Dr Dornan. William Edmondson Dornan O.B.E. had his surgery at 88 Kendal Road (corner of Oakland Road) from the early 1930s onwards; he took over from Dr Charles Smith. Dr Dornan became semi-retired in the 1960s and Dr James F. Baker occupied the surgery, though they both practised there until c. 1970. Dr Dornan died aged 70 in February 1973.

Dr Baker and his wife were sadly killed in a plane crash - see my post #60 on Page 3 of this thread.

Dr Adams on Grimesthorpe Road was our family doctor in the 1950s but I only remember Dr Tyson who used to treat me from when I was a toddler onwards. I remember, even when I was small, thinking he was really good looking. My Dad told me that he married Dr Adams' daughter. Whatever you went to him for, he would give you some sort of medicine and say "If it's not better after a week, come back!" Inevitably, you were cured after a week!

I also recognise some the doctors' names mentioned in this thread: Doctors Kershaw, Stark, Edney and, of course, the Sloan Practice on Derbyshire Lane - and agree with all the comments. I have to say, though, that Dr Stark used to scare the living daylights out of me! Dr King was the mother of the three Sloan female doctors and whatever you went to see her about, she would always state "You need to eat more fibre!" - very good advice - even though I went to see her about a lump on my wrist! They don't make doctors like they used to! :D

Does any one remember doctors Wainwright and Gethin on Attercliffe Common.Dr Wainwright used to be strict so Gethin was the one most people liked to see

I remember Gethin coming to see my father in the late fifties after dad had got over his heart attack and saying as he put the stethoscope on his chest " You'll have to give the cigs up now Walt" my father pointed to the cig hanging from Gethins mouth "I will when you stop"

Wonderful doctor well liked, we kids were a bit scared of Wainwright.

Dr. Albert Flint on Abbeydale Road. I hardly ever went to the surgery as a child. He would visit at home!! How times have changed.

Dr's Lawson and Clarke on Tyler St. Never needed an appointment just arrived and sat down, just had to remember who came after you so you knew when it was your turn.

I noticed recently in The Star that Dr Stark who was in the Pitsmoor Surgery for years has died. He was in his 90s.

Dr McCollum on Spencer Road really eccentric, used to ask for the money if he had to call the hospital for you, on home visits he abandoned his car in the middle of the road. When i was a child whatever I had it was "no PE" for 3 weeks. Used to write a note about what was wrong and say "now open your bag mother " and put it in my mothers handbag. Dr Dornan was there too he died and was replace by Dr K S Patel - wonderful man saw him for years

He was of the old school, but he saved my sons life.

My son came home from school when he was 5 feeling unwell, by 6pm he was worse Dr McCollum came out to see him and sent him to the Children's Hospital, non of the Dr's had as clue what was wrong and sent him home.

Dr McCollum came the next day and said it was measels, by this point he was very ill.

Turned out he was correct and he was sent to Lodge Moor