Family doctors of years gone by

My doctor as a boy in the 60s early 70s,was Trevor May,he was a family friend,I think he had a surgery on burgoyne road.

Dr May was also our family doctor for many years, from the mid 60s right up until he retired. We even stayed with him when we moved from Walkley to Parson Cross.

I always remember going into his room and he'd be there puffing away on a cigar, you could barely see him for the smoke! Brilliant doc though, you felt better just by talking to him.

dr english of siemans close tinsley you went in wrote your name on a pad and you sat and waited and not for too long

Dr Ogilvie who practised on Wolstenholme Road was our family doctor for years when I was little in the 1940's. He was lovely and always asked about the rest of the family when we had the occasion to visit him, I remember being a small child I thought that the dimple in his chin was great, never since have I had such a good and thorough Dr,:)

my dr was ,dr mccullum on spencer road,heeley,there was also,dr dunnan,then dr patel arrived,dr patel moved across to richards road on the corner,dr mac was a great dr.

Wadsley Bridge doctors surgery had a father and son team, Dr Panniker and DR Peter Panniker, both were very nice. I think Dr Peter ( the son) married a doctor who also worked there (Dr female Panniker) and then their son Dr Andrew Panniker took over, so I heard. I only went a couple of times as a kid and the receptionist gave you a numbered card and you had to sit and wait til the people with lower numbers had been in then it was you turn, very depressing if you were number 28 at 8.00am when they had only just opened, where did the other 27 people appear from! It was a dark gloomy waiting room with just a few chairs and a table with a couple of mags, most people stood outside smoking and would stick their head round the door and say "has number 21 gone in yet?" to see where they were in the queue!

...they then moved to Talbert (sp) Road then to Parkhill M/C on Duke Street. Dr Wallis was the nicer of the two, Dr Froggit was really strict and rough.

The older practices always had a really nice smell about them, a bit like Covonia cough madicine lol

This was the old surgery, I think, before it moved to Duke Street. Or perhaps it was a little further down the hill. It must have moved to its new site in the late 70s/early 80s. Anyone remember when the new centre opened?

When did Dr Wallis retire? He was a nice bloke. Dr Fogget (sp) was very definitely old school.

Dr Bryson was our family doctor when they had the surgery at the woodlands on stannington road. from there it moved up near the deer stalker and dr ridgwick joined the practice. it is now located in stannington itself by the park with dr stevens. Bryson was old fashioned and i still remember his roll top desk. his surgery was very much like that portrayed in dr finlays case book

I am going back over 30 years but does anyone remember Dr Brill from Hackenthorpe doctors? There were stories of her going into the old club and saying you, you and you don't bother coming to the surgery again for a sick note, if you can come in here you can go to work. :hihi:

I am going back over 30 years but does anyone remember Dr Brill from Hackenthorpe doctors? There were stories of her going into the old club and saying you, you and you don't bother coming to the surgery again for a sick note, if you can come in here you can go to work. :hihi:

My OH can, he says she was a right old battleaxe when she was at Beighton medical centre :hihi:

Dr McCollum on Spencer Road really eccentric, used to ask for the money if he had to call the hospital for you, on home visits he abandoned his car in the middle of the road. When i was a child whatever I had it was "no PE" for 3 weeks. Used to write a note about what was wrong and say "now open your bag mother " and put it in my mothers handbag. Dr Dornan was there too he died and was replace by Dr K S Patel - wonderful man saw him for years

my famliy dr was dr donnelly onsouthey hill then he retired and had a heart attack and died bless then it was dr chudry a hated him so i moved he has been stoke off for not visitng old people relating in there deaths thats what happend to my mum thats why i moved to foxhill medical center witch used to be fine but now it takes 2 weeks for an appointment and forever to get through on the percription line thinking of moveing to norwood anyone know what that one is like

Dr Grundman on Herries road and Dr Ditchfield, dentist, he pulled a couple of teeth did three fillings, fillings still intact, never had a dental problem since, thats been over 50 years.

Edited by poppins