Family doctors of years gone by

As children, going to see Dr. Chitty on the corner of Prince of Wales and Mather Rd always seemed to make the pain feel less than it really was - perhaps the chuckles and smirks helped....

I think it must have been the same Dr Dornan. William Edmondson Dornan O.B.E. had his surgery at 88 Kendal Road (corner of Oakland Road) from the early 1930s onwards; he took over from Dr Charles Smith. Dr Dornan became semi-retired in the 1960s and Dr James F. Baker occupied the surgery, though they both practised there until c. 1970. Dr Dornan died aged 70 in February 1973.

Dr Baker and his wife were sadly killed in a plane crash - see my post #60 on Page 3 of this thread.

hiya.

my first dr was i think dr hudson on the little rd from hanover st to william st,it was at the end of hodgson st.i didn't like him when i was little as i thought he did the same every time you went to his surgery, at about 5 years old you would,the one time i went was i had a sore throat and he painted it with iodine he at the time was called the tanner, or the bob doctor as at the time there was no n.h.s.then there was dr bradbury he was down fitzwilliam st first house next to the passage way above gardials, chip shop, his next surgery was on hodgson st just by the sunday school on the right, then when my wife and me married we changed to dr matthews on london rd whose surgery front door entrance was reached by a slope one side steps the other a slope.

Edited by willybite

Dr Parkin on Nether Edge Road - he drove an old Rolls Royce. Died suddenly of stomach cancer in the 70s but you would never have known he was ill.

Dr Exell and Dr Collins at the bottom of Carterknowle Road, now both long gone. The surgery has served four generations of my family, I am still a patient, wonder what they would make of things as they are now? Not a lot probably

Dr's Sugden and O'donovan in the 1960s, Jaunty Lane Basegreen. O'donovan drank like a fish and smoked like a trooper. Could usually be found propping up the bar at Renishaw golf club. Both good doctors in their day.

late 50s early 60s Dr Adamson on Holme lane

who was also the track side Doctor at Sheffield speedway

Does anyone remember Doctors Linfoot and Roper just of St.Mary's Gate they were our Docters in the 40's and 50's.

My Doctor was Dr Thomson in  Oughtibridgen  waiting room was a small room cntaining  few chairs,you had to remember whose turn it was, once split my head open he just shaved a patch on my head took needle and thread and just stitched it up no anisthetic stuck patch on and told togo back in a  week

5 hours ago, Yorkyhells said:

Does anyone remember Doctors Linfoot and Roper just of St.Mary's Gate they were our Docters in the 40's and 50's.

Dr. Linfoot was my doctor when I was a kid in the '60's. Always remember him with black suit with high collar and the traditional doctors bag. Once came to visit me at home, walked in looked at me said "mumps" gave mum a prescription and walked out again!

My doctors were Mr and Mrs Atwell at corner of Main road and Barnardiston Road Darnall.

I can remember sitting in the waiting room in the late fifties on a very cold winter's day.

Everyone were sat close to a heater, which was in the middle of the room. People were saying that there was not much heat coming from, it until one guy got up and looked inside to discover a red  electric bulb. I remember Mr Atwell visiting me at home on new years eve when I had  German measles and felt very illI was about ten at the time. 

On 16/03/2021 at 16:51, MICK BADGER said:

late 50s early 60s Dr Adamson on Holme lane

who was also the track side Doctor at Sheffield speedway

Also Dr McFadden I remember around the same time at Holme Lane also,luckily as kids my three siblings and I were pretty healthy so we didn,t visit often!.Their old surgery is still standing a large detached Victorian house,I wonder who has it now?.

blade 61. Dr. Livingstone was a Scottish dr. at Frecheville. He replaced Dr. O'Connell who died in the 50's. Dr Downie,whose practice it was,was also scottish,but witha wiry mop of black hair.