Family doctors of years gone by

does anyone remember doctors taylor and botros on attercliffe?

Yes i remember, they were my doctors during my childhood. Dr Taylor was the junior partner then. He diagnosed me with hepatitis after Dr Botros had twice diagnosed it as indigestion.

Our famliy docs were, Dr Warren and Dr Greaves? from Oughtibridge surgery, used to be a Patel there as well, as a child I suffered badly with nosebleeds, when i was about 6 or 7, one started early evening and wouldn't stop, mum rang for doc at about 11ish, we were used to them going on for a while, Patel turned up drunk as a lord, told mum off for calling him out then crashed into a wall on way down road and drove off leaving his cars front wing and headlight on floor, I ended up at childrens for 2 days while they sorted my blood levels, all our family and friends refused to have him see them after that.

Dr Gowers City Road near the Norfolk Park never forget the needles NOW THIS WONT HURT yer right.

i used to go to dr Gowers, his surgery was in the back room, (sort of conservatory) and when you went thro the front door the receptionist was in a little box room and sent you to the right in the waiting room, this is and has been for a long long time a front room, i remember him wearing horn rimmed specs. and i kept seeing the receptionist op till a few years ago....where have all the years gone???????

Hi Couture, I remember Dr Botros as a young lad, he moved to Bluebell Rd Shiregreen and my family were caretakes there, after Dr Botros came Dr Wynne, do you remember him?

What about the two Pettigrews - father and son. Practiced on the corner of Leeds Rd across from Attercliffe Baths - in the 50's and 60's as I recall. They had a lady receptionist who had no teeth at all. Can't remember her name though.

wasn,t her name Winnie think shes still alive, maybe i dreamt i saw her recently LOL.....

What about the two Pettigrews - father and son. Practiced on the corner of Leeds Rd across from Attercliffe Baths - in the 50's and 60's as I recall. They had a lady receptionist who had no teeth at all. Can't remember her name though.

Wasn,t her name WINNIE? maybe i dreamt i saw her recently she cant still be alive can she?LOL

dr sloans on bottom of derbyshire lane.they were great.the fact there was no app system and you just sat and waited in the order you got there was better than it is nowadays .

what a fantastic practice :) going back about 20 years my son (who was 6 weeks old) got bronchialitus, or however you spell it....

at the time there was some flu bug going round and the childrens hosp was full. him being my first child i was convinced he was not going to make it.

Dr barbara was AMAZING, she told me to leave the back door unlocked and that her and the health visitor (name escapes me) would keep checking on us day and night.........and that they did.......she would give me a nudge as she was leaving during the night:).

every 4 hours or so they checked on us, over a 24 hour period, what a fantastic Dr.

wasn,t her name Winnie think shes still alive, maybe i dreamt i saw her recently LOL.....

Re the Pettigrews, I remember them from the 1940s --that was a family of brilliant GPs, and I would love to know their full story. I wonder if there are any members of that family still around in Sheffield. I recall as a small child how kind they were, and my mother was full of praise for the way they looked after our health.

Anybody else remember the former University of Sheffield GP, Bob Kinsey, who always wore his dickie-bow at surgery? No mean golfer either.

hiya my first family doctor whose name i dont remember but i can still remember his surgery it was just off williams street and hanover st near to hodgson st you had togo up two steps to his room from the waiting room it was scary for 4 or 5 year old i remembered going twice with my mum, he painted my throat twice with iodine yuck ithink they called him the bob doctor then i had dr bradbury first on fitzwilliam st then he moved onto hodgson st this was in the 50s. could my first doctor have been a dr hudson, my dads dr was dr ainscow on hanover st. my wifes dr was dr perara at the top of shrewsbury rd

Edited by willybite

The only Dr Hudson I knew of in the 50s had a surgery in Burngreave on Burngreave Road, opposite side to Burngreave Vestry Hall and further up towards the cemetery. He took it over from his father who started the practise before WW1. When Shiregreen was built they started another surgery at junction of Bellhouse Road & Beck Road because many of their patients moved onto the new estate. Eventually in late 1960s Dr Rapinet took over when Hudson retired, then when Rapinet retired the Shiregreen practise amalgamated with Dr Saleems up near junction Bellhouse Road & Nethershire Lane.