Why No Olympics Big Screen in Sheffield?

I think the idea was to garnish viewpoints that had something to do with the thread subject, rather than irrelevant rubbish.

If you have no contribution as to why there is no screen here, then you have no reason to post.

So those of us who think it's a good thing that there's no giant sports screen in Sheffield aren't allowed to express that opinion on a public forum?

I suspect most Rotherham people would be quite happy for Sheffield to have the one in All Saint's Square!

If you have no contribution as to why there is no screen here, then you have no reason to post.

'Cause nobody really cares all that much whether there's a screen or not?

The places on the list you posted have always had the big screens, including Rotherham. I seem to remember similar comments last time there was a big sporting event, some football thing or other, iirc.

I don't know why we don't have a big screen, maybe we can't afford to waste money on something very few people are going to gain benefit from? Or maybe the BBC providers just don't like us? You could e-mail the SCC department responsible for sport, it used to be Leisure Services and ask them, or the BBC, if you haven't already done so?

It strikes me these are places that have big screens already - certainly Rotherham's is a permanent fixture. I don't think they've been erected by the BBC specially for it. Presumably the local councils will have paid to have them put up at some stage.

Agree with metalman - as a Mancunian I can say that the one there went up for the Commonwealth games, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the BBC who paid for it. I think the places listed just have their own screens.

Having watched some of the Commonwealth Games on the one in Manchester I can confirm that your own home is almost certainly a more comfortable place to watch tv.

even Rotherham has one!!

Take it from me. It’s a waste of space and nobody watches it anyway.

And has anyone taken into account what time these sports are actually on .....there not exactly prime time......

And has anyone taken into account what time these sports are actually on .....there not exactly prime time......

But other cities/towns thought it worth while to have big screens...

It would be a huge waste of tax payers money, there are more important things to spend it on.

Birmingham isn't on that list either, so we're not the only big city with more sense than money.

It strikes me these are places that have big screens already - certainly Rotherham's is a permanent fixture. I don't think they've been erected by the BBC specially for it. Presumably the local councils will have paid to have them put up at some stage.

As I understand it the BBC not only looks for council approval but also requires a company to sponsor the big screen. If there is no sponsor then there is no big screen. Likewise if there is no council approval there is no big screen.

My colleague actually rang the council the other day to ask this, especially in the light of the fact Sheffield has the EIS and other world class facilities that British athletes train at. She was told that it's too expensive to bring one in just for the Olympics - apparently it costs £20,000 to have a temporary screen. As for a permanent screen, she was just told that Rotherham have one so and people can go and watch that as it's only down the road. Hope that answers your query.

A x