Why No Olympics Big Screen in Sheffield?

Just noticed this on the BBC website. The below towns and cities have big screens up in public squares so people can watch the Olympics, maybe with a beer and a bite to eat when the weather is nice. Why no Sheffield?? Nearly all other major cities you can think of are on here - even Rotherham has one!!

Bradford - Centenary Square

Bristol - Millennium Square

Cardiff - The Hayes

Derby - The Market Place

Hull - Queen Victoria Square

Leeds - Millennium Square

Liverpool - Clayton Square

Manchester - Exchange Square

Middlesbrough - Centre Square

Norwich - Chapelfield Plain

Plymouth - Armada Way

Portsmouth - Guildhall Square

Rotherham - All Saints Square

Swansea - Castle Square

Swindon - Wharf Green

Waltham Forest, London - Walthamstow Town Square

So Bradford, Hull, Leeds and Rotherham are deemed worthy Yorkshire places, but one of the biggest cities in the UK is not?

Now I know we'll get a lot of moaners saying "who cares you can watch it at home" or "I hate sport so I don't want a big screen in Sheffield", but many of us would and it's a bit galling to see the smaller towns that the BBC have gone to over Sheffield.

Have the council been approached about this, and if so why haven't we got one?

does Sheffield have a space as big as any of the others in which to display one? :confused:

does Sheffield have a space as big as any of the others in which to display one? :confused:

Peace Gardens?

wouldn't it get wet? :D

Well they always manage to get a big screen up outside the Crucible when the snooker is on so I don't see why not. Plenty of room in Leopold Square, or in any of the big parks.

wouldn't it get wet? :D

I'm sure they'd be able to turn off the fountains for the occasion. Maybe there's somewhere else in Sheff that could do it... One of our parks perhaps?

The point being, they haven't done it, so pointless debating where they could have a screen really. I'm still curious as to if the council were approached and said no, or if anyone here has contacts at the BBC who know why we're in the cold on this one?

Who cares you can watch it at home.

I hate sport so I don't want a big screen in Sheffield.

You know, it's not being a moaner holding those opinions, it's a genuine viewpoint.

Who cares you can watch it at home.

I hate sport so I don't want a big screen in Sheffield.

You know, it's not being a moaner holding those opinions, it's a genuine viewpoint.

Thanks for your useless input - if you have these viewpoints then why bother contributing?

If you only want viewpoints that agree with yours then why bother posting on a public forum?

If you only want viewpoints that agree with yours then why bother posting on a public forum?

I think the idea was to garnish viewpoints that had something to do with the thread subject, rather than irrelevant rubbish.

If you have no contribution as to why there is no screen here, then you have no reason to post.

Well, I doubt that most people are too bothered about who will miss out on the bronze in the women's shot put ......

Oh, bloody hell, Jabbers is on here ......

Seriously though, all this is, is Eurosport's annual output put onto terrestrial TV for a few weeks. I'm not bothered that there isn't a big screen.

It'd probably be nicked anyway.