Saxton Mee making Redundancies

And what about the people who have families and mouths to feed, mortgages to pay, bills to pay. What do they do. Saving isnt an option for everyone.

You seem to be making out that people in the estate agency business have had it really tough over the last 10 years...

I know that not everyone has been going round in new sports cars, but all those commisions add up to nice bonuses!!!

I believe this significant downturn will be good for the housing sector and Estate Agents in the long term. It will force them to re-think their businesses and the way they work. It will also give more choice and power back to the consumer.

Tell that to some of our clients who have work in the housing industry for the last 30-40 years. Where do they go from here. They have lost their jobs and cant just walk into another. Their career doesnt exist anymore. You cant be a junior at 50 (or more) years old. Most of them will end up doing dull jobs such as stacking shelves. Its a shame to see so many lose their jobs in a country that has a shortage of housing. Its about time this government stood up and did soemthing about this crisis instead of pretending it isnt happening.

Those are the people I feel sorry for. House price inflation should never have been allowed to get so out of hand. The government must take some of the blame for that.

As for Gordon and co. doing something now to stop the crash? They'd have more chance of stopping gravity. Here's betting that Cameron will have this one on his plate when he moves into number 10.

by the time the Conservatives get in the economy will be improving!

As for Gordon and co. doing something now to stop the crash? They'd have more chance of stopping gravity. Here's betting that Cameron will have this one on his plate when he moves into number 10.

Just an update.

Saxton Mee no longer open on a Sunday and their Campo Lane branch is due to close.

Tough times indeed.

Estate agents try to avoid cutting asking prices too much as it just adds more momentum to a falling market. We have slashed £40K off our property in Crookes and we still don't get anyone round.

My advice would be to just leave it on the market and get on with your life. If things improve you'll get some people round in the future and if we head in to recession then you can just stay where you are.

You might get a bargain in the future.

We haven't reduced our price yet, I think buyers will just offer what they think its worth at the moment. The 'sticker' price is only a guide. We are gettign a steady stream of viewers, probably 1/2 every fortnight attracted by the location and schools but as yet not even a silly offer.

Cant you just leave them alone. They are having a hard enough time of it as it is without every tom dick and harry laughing at their misfortune. These are hard times for everyone, no one is immune from this situation and i only hope that none of you find yourselves staring redundancy in the face. It is a very difficult time our company has just been through it. I was lucky and kept my job, but for how long?

A shame there's no Foxtons going bust too...I could do with a second hand mini.

Those who have overstretched themselves will be having to sell their 4x4s and chav mobiles to pay next months mortgage. Only a small problem with that.....the car market is at its lowest since the 60s.

Maybe estate agents will get more business by getting cheaper rentals in...which are keeping what's left of the dying industry afloat.

What caused this? A hyperinflated housing market, supported by hyperinlfated estate agent valuations.

A shame there's no Foxtons going bust too...I could do with a second hand mini.

Those who have overstretched themselves will be having to sell their 4x4s and chav mobiles to pay next months mortgage. Only a small problem with that.....the car market is at its lowest since the 60s.

Maybe estate agents will get more business by getting cheaper rentals in...which are keeping what's left of the dying industry afloat.

What caused this? A hyperinflated housing market, supported by hyperinlfated estate agent valuations.

Rental prices are increasing as demand is increasing.

Rental prices are increasing as demand is increasing.

I see rental prices dropping as agents fight each other to the death for business.

Prices are falling, the market is dying, and that's why Estate agents are losing their jobs, even here in our beloved Sheffield.

Rental demand is dropping like a brick from a roof, hence the redundancies in estate agents offices.

This correction, though painful for some is for the best of the Sheffield economy and the people....long may it continue.

I see rental prices dropping as agents fight each other to the death for business.

Evidence please.

Evidence please.

Take a close look at the stories showing Sheffield Estate agent staff being made redundant...they all have massive numbers of empty properties on their books.

That is evidence that demand has fallen off a cliff and the eternal mantra of the Estate agents and other vested interests saying 'house prices only ever go up, rental prices are increasing' is beginning to sound very stupid.

It is.

Lots demand for overpriced housing = lots jobs.

No demand for overpriced housing = redundancies.

The redundancies have begun. Many more to follow before xmas.

That's a fact Tony.

Evidence please, not opinion. You seem to have continuing difficulty with facts.