Sign in to follow this  

Acer - leaves turning brown - advice please?

I have a small dark red acer tree, and the ends of the leaves have turned brown and are shrivelling. Its in a pot, and its watered fairly regularly. I wonder if it would be better moved into the ground? Any acer/japanese maple experts out there...?

I had this problem a few weeks ago Ms M! There's a thread somewhere, but basically the diagnosis was sun and/or wind burn. :( It's not perked up since, but I'm told it'll be alright next year.

I have a small dark red acer tree, and the ends of the leaves have turned brown and are shrivelling. Its in a pot, and its watered fairly regularly. I wonder if it would be better moved into the ground? Any acer/japanese maple experts out there...?

It should be fine in the pot as long as it's well drained.

My mum had a similar problem a while ago when the pot was against a dark, south-facing wall which in summer became very hot and bright from midday onwards. The leaves began to turn brown and started to shrivel from the edges inwards. It turned out that although they need some bright sunlight, if the exposure is prolonged the leaves can scorch, which is what happened there.

I've just checked on the RHS site and a similar state can occur by exposure to wind.

Was going to say wind myself, we have two weeping thingy's that went the same way. Fed and watered them and they are now looking good again.

Thanks both - its in a bit of the garden that is like a wind tunnel at times - so I'll move it somewhere more sheltered and out of any direct sun, then wait and see what happens next year.

As above, they don't like loads of sun and don't like wind. I puit mine in massive pots as well so they can't dry out.

This happened to my acer 2 years ago. It is sun and wind burn, the leaves on mine all fell off. Dont do anything to it try and make sure that its in a sheltered spot form the wind. The sun burn is not as bad as the wind. It might look like its not ok but next year it will be ok. If the sun gets too strong (if ever!!) just cover up with some fleece.:thumbsup:

As above, they don't like loads of sun and don't like wind. I puit mine in massive pots as well so they can't dry out.

I have three acers in pots and all the leaves have turned brown. They are all in the sun & wind, so Ive now moved them.