New Tesco threatens business' on Abbeydale Road

I agree with you about the meat from Kempka's butchers. I shop at a big supermarket once a week but have never bought meat there since we tried Kempka's. Leagues ahead in terms of quality and often more competitive price wise. We go veggie or have fish now if I can't get to the butchers. Pork from Tesco, a boiled sock would taste better!

where is this shop?

where is this shop?
Opposite the cinema, easily spotted with the meat behind the window in the display :hihi:
I agree, I never shop in them anyway.
As an example, both shops (Renan and Sons and Arman) sell their milk cheaper than Tesco Abbeydale, since Tesco Express are more expensive than their main stores Tesco's argument of lower priced local shopping is rather offensive.

Selling things people want to buy at low prices?!?! How dare they!

They dare because they are investing in building a total market monopoly, when they achieve this there will be no such thing as selling anything cheap, they already have over 40% of the UK grocery market, how can this be good for anyone?

Good luck to Tesco!

24 objections to date.

Hopefully the council are going to listen to us.

This is the old thread about the Commonside application:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=248750

If you're thinking of objecting to this one then I suggest you read that, in particular post #33 where jgharston sets out the valid grounds for objecting to a planning application. In particular, it seems that concerns about competition with existing shops in the area are not valid grounds for objection, but issues to do with traffic, noise, etc. are. It was the traffic issue that killed the Commonside application.

Tesco=Starbucks?

Not quite yet, although apparently part of the New Orchard Square includes a Starbucks.... so that's 4 within half a mile of each other....

Tesco are even worse than Starbucks as SB only control the coffee market; Tesco just about control the whole country.

every little helps...

I believe that the lease is subject to planning permission. Hopefully they will not get it. There are lots of objections.
They can lease all they want though can't they? It's using and modifying the premices that is under consideration? When you consider ten letters sent to a TV channel is an apparent outcry, imagine 24 objections to a planning permission :P /prey
I've complained to my councillor who is on the planning committee that will look at it (Denise Reaney).
Swell, as they say :) The more the merrier.

I've never shopped at any of those stores but I would definately use the Tesco in that location.

I don't drive so it would be very handy.