The Global Warming Megathread

Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?

• Absolutely, unequivocally.
    • Maybe, i need more evidence
    • Not at all, it's all made up!
    • Whats global warming?

I'd be very happy to find a wasp's nest in my loft but global warming seems to be avoiding us.

Don't know where the met ofice get their CET stats from but it's nowhere near our house..brrrrr :(

How do we know these polar ice caps are not melting because we forgot to replenish the ozone layer 15 years ago by launching those rockets up to the south pole with fresh ozone...or has everyone forgot. It may not be co2 induced global warming that will flood the world, but forgetfulness.

Global warming rally cut short by cold weather

MARTIN GRIFFITH

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Posted: 4/15/2007

"More than two dozen demonstrators braved cold, wet weather Saturday in Reno to attend a rally designed to draw attention to global warming.

The event was cut short by heavy rain and sleet, said organizer Lisa Stiller of the Northern Nevada Coalition for Climate Change.

"It's kind of disappointing that the weather kept people away," Stiller said. "But, we still think it (climate change) is something that people should talk about."

The storm prevented the use of solar ovens for a potluck picnic, Stiller said, and caused the planned two-hour dem

"

Mean while here in New Zealand everyone is frying from UV radiation from the hole in the ozone layer that everyone forgot about...they were supposed to send rockets up there with ozone in it 15 years ago to fix it...

I don't think the weather in Sheffield stands for proof that global warming is a myth, but like someone said above, it's no different from saying that great weather is a direct result of global warming.

Instead of introducing Green Taxes we should all just admit that it's happening and we wont stop it, hard to believe that we cant make capitalist business owners change their ways but thats the unfortunate case.

If Britain were to go carbon neutral today, China's growth in 5 years would have nullified the effects of our changes.

Well i think we've mucked it either way.

How can we stop something that we don't even understand. With no emperical evidence to point to either conclusion on our responsibility, it's an inevitability that we'll have to deal with.

It is a load of bunkem, Scientists have to agree with the government or funding for research stops, this was stated on a programme on TV not so long back, by a retired scientist. The governments equation does not include water vapour, which absorbs CO2 in the atmosphere. There is a 50 minute video on my freespace, just click on Global Warming on my sig if you would like to watch it. It adds the information that the government doesn't want you to know about. Global Warming is a phenomenon of nature, and has happened before many times before man inhabited earth. It occurs every 10,000 years or so, and recalling my days at school, I don't remember learning that the last event of global warming was caused by Neanderthal man taking his kids to school in his 4 x 4 dinosaur, or by them taking long haul flights on their Boeing airbus pterodactyls. Watch the video, it is interesting stuff.

Not all science (not even most science) is funded by the government, so your first point is incorrect.

I'm not sure what 'government equation' you refer to, there is no single equation that has predicted global warming. The warming can be measured directly, there are various hypotheses trying to explain why it's happening.

Water vapour may well absorb CO2, but it's not an endless sink for it. If extra CO2 is placed in the atmosphere then what makes you think that it can be absorbed? Indeed direct measurements of CO2 levels show a massive rise in the last 100 years, no one with a basic grasp on reality would argue this point.

There is no cyclical global warming phenomena, there are cycles, 10k years ago would be the end of the younger dryas, a period of time when temperatures were relatively low. Non of which proves either way whether the atmospheric changes we are making are affecting these natural cycles.

It is a load of bunkem, Scientists have to agree with the government or funding for research stops,

And why exactly would the government want to fabricate evidence of global warming and force scientists to go along with them?

I do believe Global Warming is an issue that the world is facing. The problem is we get govenments telling us there is global warming but are not putting as much money in as they should. It is all talking and no action.

Ok so we are building wind terbines and eco housing. The problem is all the eco housing is been built down south and not up here. There is another thing that funding for eco projects or even recycling charities always gets stopped or not enough given.

Its like they tell us to recycle but don't put provisions in to do it, yes ok we have green bins, blue boxs or bins to put recycling stuff in. But they onely take paper, plastic, thin cardbord and tin and foil, but no glass. At the end of the day recycling is down to money. More often than not it costs more to recycle than to prduce a new product. There is also the fact that recycling stuff gets contaminated so it can't be used and has to go to landfill.

So I think we should have better recycling facilities and like a county wide recycling plants, for example south yorkshire having say 4 recycling plants one for paper and thin cardboard, one for glass, one for plastic and the other for tins, foil and drinks cans. Also us all have a 5 bin system for every house hold, there would be no excuses for mixing things up.

With cars, I think people should traded there old pertol cars in for cleaner diesel ones so they could use diesel which is less polluting than petrol or use bio diesel.

Diesel is dirtier than petrol...

And if I have 5 bins, will you mind if I store them on your garden, as I don't have room for them.

And why exactly would the government want to fabricate evidence of global warming and force scientists to go along with them?

Raising revenue ? Forcing through an unpopular nuclear power generation programme ? Or merely to divert attention from pressing problems like social cohesion.

I'm not a denier of climate change by any means but our present govt. is so mired in mendacity that any kind of emergency measure they advocate for any supposed crisis is now highly questionable.

If the govt. were to give a solemn undertaking, accompanied by an independent audit trail, that every pound of revenue they raised on the back of the climate change bandwaggon would be spent on research and development of alternative green energy generation and an improved public transport infrastructure, then I might be a little less cynical.

I suspect though that I have more chance of seeing a flying pig :D