Where do I report noise disturbance and drunken behaviour to?

I have had a similar problem where I live for about 5 years now. There are a load of student houses in the area and each year we get a new influx of students who make a load of noise at 2,3,4 or 5am on a frequent basis.

We tried leaning out of the window and shouting at them to shut up so we can sleep. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but its less than a week before the same people are doing the same thing.

Don't bother calling 101 or the council as they will send you out a "noise diary" so you can record what happens and when. Very effective!

Don't call the police either as they will a) laugh at you! and b) not come out to the reported problem. An example of how powerless the police are at dealing with noise....

A year or 2 ago there was a house party oposite, several neighbours called the police at about 3am. Eventually they turned up and politely asked if the students would turn the music down. They did. The police left. The music was turned back up. Police came back, music was turned down, they left and it was turned back up again.

The best tactic we have found is to figure out where the noisy people live and pop round to see them for a chat when they're sober. Explain what they are doing, get other neighbours in on it too. If 15 people turned up at my door saying I was noisy and inconsiderate I would probably turn the volume down a bit!

Good luck!

WHy not wait till they eventually go asleep at say 6am and then start up the chainsaw/strimmer/lawnmover/bang the dustbin lids under their wondow ...

if it's happening in the street it's a public nuisance & the police would attend to deal with the youths causing the problem.

if it's happening in the street it's a public nuisance & the police would attend to deal with the youths causing the problem.

There wont be any PCSO's on duty at that time and the police are going to treat it as a low priority , they wont be attending if they have crimes etc to deal with first. However if its an ongoing problem with the same address then they will get a visit from someone from the Safer Neighbourhood Team but it probably wont be while its actually happening , because a that time they wont be on duty.

Please dont ring 999 though , thats for emergencies. 101 or 2202020 are the right numbers to ring

We moved house to get away from the noisy and drunken behaviour of our neighbours in the middle of the night.. The police couldnt do anything and after being frequently threatened by our neighbours drunken son and finding him drinking in our back garden with his mates and throwing things at our windows in the middle of the night a few times we just gave up and moved.. Sadly with the crime rate going up I guess the police are no longer able to respond to what they would probably call minor disturbances as they have bigger things to deal with. Although you have to wonder how many of those people perpetrating bigger minor crimes started off doing things like this kid and moved on to bigger things when the police did nothing to see what else they could get away with...

Well as I said in my earlier post, the sound-proofing of our bedroom wall started yeasterday and continued today, now £200 lighter :rant:and 18 inches less space in our bedroom we are well under way, tomorrow the plaster board goes up on the new stud wall, which has 6 inches of sound proofing behind it.

To accomodate this we've had to rip out all our fitted wardrobes to move the bed from the offending wall and now need new. So not a cheap solution by any means, but having already tried the police and 101, to no avail, we decided to do our own thing.

I'll let you know if it's been worth it, but if we get a decent night sleep when it's complete, the answer will be YES!

Tracie :(