68 members have voted

1. 1. Intellectual?

• Smart
    • Average
    • Stupid
    • Proud
    • Embarrassed
    • Not a clue

Would an intellectual for instance know where to place the brackets in a sentence correctly? :hihi:

Tony pwned! :o

But would an intellectual know where to place the commas in a sentence, either? ;)

Interesting that the poll does not specify whether this is whether you consider yourself to be intelligent, but more about the feelings that you have with respect to your intelligence.

I feel that I'm probably somewhere around average, but I suspect that there are others around me who have different opinions about that.

Perhaps my definition is wrong. If so, what is an intellectual.

Not you for starters!

Would an intellectual for instance know where to place the brackets in a sentence correctly? :hihi:

I know where the brackets should be placed! Am I an intellectual? Do I get a prize? :P I'm somewhere in the Average range I think. :|

I've known one person to whom I'd consider giving that label. He was a neighbour some years ago. He rarely watched TV, and never watched crap stuff, only read the Times, was extremely well educated, had won a scholarship to a minor public school, then did a doctorate at Oxbridge. Nice guy, he didn't try to intimidate, but took time to explain things, and never took a superior attitude with me. Perhaps as a really clever person he'd nothing to prove, unlike some who just think they are..... :o

We still haven't decided what constitutes an intellectual yet. This is a bit of a forum disease. people try to argue about something without ever having a definition they can all agree on, this is why the arguments rage long and hard people tend to be looking at the smae thing but from slightly different angles

I dont think of myself as an 'intellectual' in that I am fully aware that there are many many people, whose intellect and intelligence far outshine my own. I know I am a bright guy, fairly well read and cultured, creative and thoughtful. I hate mathematical puzzles, I look at sudoku with dread, but I love to speed my way through the G2 crossword every day, and I've even managed to complete the Cryptic crossword once, so I wouldnt put myself in the category of 'a bit thick'.

Whats most important is that while I'm happy and comfortable in my level of intellect, I am constantly on the hunt for new knowledge, every day is a schoolday, and the day I stop wanting to learn is the day I'll turn up my toes and wait for the fire to start.

Listening to radio 4 is compulsary.

hmm, why? I like to listen to Radio 4 occasionally, but I think to state that it is compulsary in order to be 'intellectual' is a quite good example of intellectual snobbery. Merely an opinion.

But if you listen to radio 4 for long enough, you learn everything there is to know, that's just fact, i'm afraid.

But if you listen to radio 4 for long enough, you learn everything there is to know, that's just fact, i'm afraid.

How long is long enough? How can you quantify 'everything there is to know'? your 'fact' has little substance and background proof, and that I'm afraid is easy to see.

I am the only person so far who is 'average'*?! I know SF is a hotbed of intellectual discussion but how can this be?

*I'm not stupid, I enjoy novels and plays, but I watch trash TV, can barely add up and dislike academia...

I have joined you, I would rather be an average intellectual than someone who thinks they are a smartie pants :D

Can we try and have this discussion without any further name calling please. Thanks.