Everyone knows 1st, But who was last?

A popular sports question is, "Who was 1st goal scorer in the Premiership" The answer, of course, is Brian Deane for Sheffield United.

Does anyone know who scored the last goal in the old English Division 1?

I'd doubt it, as we lost 3-0 away at Wimbledon on the last day of the previous season! I'll be honest though, and say I haven't got a clue ....

Brian Deane?

Blades v Liverpool i think,scored in the 5th min or something like that

Brian Deane?

That's what I have got, a last minute goal against Wigan? I tried to find out if it was a Reading player. :)

That's what I have got, a last minute goal against Wigan? I tried to find out if it was a Reading player. :)
He'd have a job.......Wigan weren't in the old First Division in the 1991-92 season

He'd have a job.......Wigan weren't in the old First Division in the 1991-92 season

What is the old first division then?! I thought we were talking before it was the Championship! Ooops I'll get back to applying my lip gloss! Sorry gentlemen. :):hihi:

What is the old first division then?! I thought we were talking before it was the Championship! Ooops I'll get back to applying my lip gloss! Sorry gentlemen. :):hihi:
We are talking about the first division before the premier league was formed. The championship itself wasn't formed until 2002/3 (I think)

The teams in the last first division before it became the premiership were:

Leeds United

Manchester United

Sheffield Wednesday

Arsenal

Manchester City

Liverpool

Aston Villa

Nottingham Forest

Sheffield United

Crystal Palace

Queens Park Rangers

Everton

Wimbledon

Chelsea

Tottenham Hotspur

Southampton

Oldham Athletic

Norwich City

Coventry City

Luton Town

Notts County

West Ham United

Thanks rudeboy I just had a look on soccerbase, I thought there for four divisions once but I was too young! Very interesting stuff! How things change!

Thanks rudeboy I just had a look on soccerbase, I thought there for four divisions once but I was too young! Very interesting stuff! How things change!

There were four divisions (1-4) before they dreamt up the premiership. It was then the premiership and divisions 1, 2 and 3. They then rejigged it again and it became the premiership, the championship and divisions 1 and 2 (as it is now)

There were four divisions (1-4) before they dreamt up the premiership. It was then the premiership and divisions 1, 2 and 3. They then rejigged it again and it became the premiership, the championship and divisions 1 and 2 (as it is now)

Strictly speaking, of course - there still are four divisions. If the second division is called The Championship, it's still the second division.

The four divisions of fully-professional English football are no longer all run by the same institution, but there's still four of them.