Silversmiths (Runaway Girl)

Any comments on the Dawes` review in the Star yesterday? That`s pretty much the worst one I`ve seen. Usually he`s pretty neutral but he laid into Silversmith`s. :o

I've never been so can't comment on the place but he didn't do it any favours at all. But then Dawes has his favourites. I bet you never see him giving Richard Smith a bad review.:suspect:

Any comments on the Dawes` review in the Star yesterday? That`s pretty much the worst one I`ve seen. Usually he`s pretty neutral but he laid into Silversmith`s. :o

any body got a link to the dawes review?

I've never been so can't comment on the place but he didn't do it any favours at all. But then Dawes has his favourites. I bet you never see him giving Richard Smith a bad review.:suspect:

plenty of people on here who don't have vested interests have said they were impressed. genuine customer reviews speak volumes and so far they've all been positive. we will definitely be giving it a go.

the Runaway Girl on Arundel Street has been transformed into a sophisticated but relaxed new restaurant...delicious locally sourced venison sausages for my main.

i think on ebay they call this "shilling". please desist, you aren't doing silversmiths any favours, whoever you are (rolls eyes.)

It would be nice if they paid their suppliers! Think they have been bust twice

prob been posted already but has anybody been?

comments would be appreciated

I went at the beginning of September. The service was good and the food was very good (it has Gordon Ramsey written all over it). I would happily go back if someone wanted to go there but not sure i would choose to return myself. I can't really give a proper reason but i think it's something to do with the inside structure; it still felt like i had gone to a bar to eat and i just didn't like that when paying restaurant prices. If the inside was changed to tables throughout the floor space with crisp white table linen etc then i think it would improve it no end. Lovely food but i think i could have equal quality in a more comfortable environment elsewhere. That said, i would recommend it to anyone to try because it's only my opinion on the layout.

I went at the beginning of September. The service was good and the food was very good (it has Gordon Ramsey written all over it). I would happily go back if someone wanted to go there but not sure i would choose to return myself. I can't really give a proper reason but i think it's something to do with the inside structure; it still felt like i had gone to a bar to eat and i just didn't like that when paying restaurant prices. If the inside was changed to tables throughout the floor space with crisp white table linen etc then i think it would improve it no end. Lovely food but i think i could have equal quality in a more comfortable environment elsewhere. That said, i would recommend it to anyone to try because it's only my opinion on the layout.

cheers for info

Following stories in the local press about the Runaway Girl and a certain celebrity chef myself and my wife thought we should revisit the Runaway Girl. Previously we have experienced the tapas offered there and always found the food extremely well prepared and enjoyable.

Now relaunched as Silversmiths and only a week since the changes we booked ourselves in for an evening meal. The menu has changed beyond recognition, gone are my much loved tapas replaced by starters, mains and desserts. The restaurant has undergone a total transformation, much brighter and with a modern twist. The staff are friendly and well informed about both the food and drinks now served. The menu offered a nice selection of local products from much talked about venison sausages to Yorkshire blue tart.

I hate being gushy, just doesn’t suit me at all, but the food was excellent, well presented, extremely well prepared and a delight to eat. There was no rush, waiting staff allowed us the time to enjoy our food and left enough time between courses to allow us time to enjoy the food we received. To go with the food there is a good selection of wines and some wonderfully prepared cocktails.

After so many bad experiences with restaurants in and around Sheffield it was refreshing to find a restaurant that delivers good food with staff that are obviously happy in their work. If you want freshly prepared delicious food in a modern friendly environment the Silversmiths is for you.

Oh, the food here was very pleasant and enjoyable, I must say. I tried this Gordon Ramsay cod dish which was a very Iberian (or Catalan, in particular ? I had a similar dish somewhere in Barcelona) like dish. The atmosphere, too, was very pleasant.

I thought I had posted on my shambolic experience in this restaurant, but it seems not, unless it has been removed. We ate here in the summer.

The meal we had was a complete disaster and I will not go back or recommend it.

From the start, the owners girlfriend was hanging around our table, listening to our conversation. If we commented on any element of the restaurant she interjected, which made us all feel very uncomfortable and at times it was embarrassing, especially when we waited twenty minutes for our drinks and having to remind them twice.

Starters were okay, but not great;it was the main courses which were shocking, oh and the service.....

One friend had a steak - it was inedible. It was a very large portion but the knife woudl not cut through any of it as it was so stringyl She tried and tried but to no avail She complained and they offered to make her another. it was now an hour after we had arrived and so she asked them to make something quickly; I think it was sausage and mash.

Another friend had the £13 bangers and mash. The sausages may be good quality but it was such an inflated price for what was served.

I had s fish stew, but it had a flavourless broth and the fish was overcooked.

By time we had finished, it was too late for pudding, so we had coffee and then wine.

My friend and I went to the toilets; the queue was long and by time we returned our drinks had been removed from the table and they were seating other people.

I asked to speak to the manager, he listened, but did nothing about this. He took my email address and phone number and promised to apologise and set the matter right. He failed to respond to this. Oh, apart from a marketing call asking for my email address.

This was a shocking experience from start to finish. I am disapointed that the owner did not resolve the situation. I held back from posting in case he did, but there you go. It shoudl have been a great restaurant. I will not be going back.

is it under new management?

do they still haver the monthly club nights?

Has the programme been on the tv yet?

No . . . I think it was scheduled for November but the series hasn't been advertised yet.