Silversmiths (Runaway Girl)

The website is still under construction ... which is ironic as that was the worst thing about the Runaway Girl ... hmmm.

I agree that sort of food seems a bit samey samey and safe.

Ah well.

I agree the problem with Runaway girl often was it was off the beaten track of bars, so you'd have to stumble down to it or make a concerted effort to go. Saying that, I've had some great nights there, eating a meal, watching a band, just having a cocktail, even a Burlesque night once by accident;)!

I like Justin and his attitude so I will definitely be going back to try it as a restaurant in the near future.

Wish they'd kept the name though... and look forward to the programme.

At least November it says in the newspaper article.

silversmiths is a great name. it's a shame to lose the fabulous tapas, but i think this is a really smart move. i've been nagging justin and the lovely donna for a long time to put real ale on to draw in potential customers from SHU, many of whom were avoiding RG because it didn't serve real ale (and despite some really lovely waitresses and barmaids, one or two bar staff were making up drinks prices off the tops of their heads :suspect: - i hope gordon cracked the whip on that one!)

i'm a very old mate of justin's and i've been rooting for him and donna from the start. i covered their win of best food at sheffield's best bar and club awards 2007 on my blog, including shots i took of chef richie and jonil in the kitchen (both totally sound blokes, in fact i would go so far as to say that richie is a legend.) the blog article also includes the old runaway girl menu in the appendix for those interested or nostalgic! and of course ive got loads of footage of me performing excerpts from my novels at sheffield's premiere spoken word night, words aloud which the RG hosted for a while, on my youtube channel linked to in my sig, for those also nostalgic! in fact when my racy novel is a massive bestseller those times will seem even more nostalgic! :hihi:

all in all, i think they've done the right thing and we will defo be calling in for a meal.

Does anyone actually know when it will be shown on TV?

dunno, but i am planning to find a pub with a screen and set up a facebook event for people to all come along and watch it together - free entry of course, non profit making, only for publicity. i may have copies of my newly released novel on sale at the bar though, wink as i lerrrv tie-in publicity.

my main motivation though is so a load of us can whoop and cheer when justin gets ********ed by gordon, and i can film it and put it on youtube :) i mean, come on people, it's going to be great publicity for silversmiths and great fun for everyone :banana: :banana: :banana: , bring it on!

btw who fancies attending when i set this up? tyranna, you'd be up for it wouldn't you? :) and edna, we can even have a toast to heaven 17's recent gig on the roof of sheffield hallam uni! :headbang:

There are a lot more places doing good food than there are good bars and that it was is sad.

Every time we took different friends there for the first time, they all said it was the best bar in Sheffield. A really unique and eclectic atmosphere.

There may have been some 'inconsistencies' with the drinks etc but i still feel there would have been more mileage in pushing the bar side than the restaurant.

Still, time will tell.

P.S. Sorry to keep moaning lol.

If its off the beaten track, its got more chance as a restaurant than a bar. And they are better informed to make that decision than the rest of us.

I think they deserve big praise for having the balls to go on Kitchen Nightmares.

Although Sheffield has a lot of restaurants, the standard is poor. In a recent Good Food Guide, Sheffield only had one listing, compared to eight in Leeds and even Huddersfield had two(!!).

Having Gordon Ramsey involved in a venue can only be a good thing.

Every time we took different friends there for the first time, they all said it was the best bar in Sheffield. A really unique and eclectic atmosphere.

i agree. but they're running a business and you stay in business by making the business profitable and if the unique and eclectic atmosphere aint paying the bills you strip everything down and build summat else, which is precisely what has been done in the case of RG.

There may have been some 'inconsistencies' with the drinks etc

it's not acceptable, it's unprofessional and was getting them a bad reputation. sheffield's not called the biggest village in england for nowt. i care what happens to that place; i want them to succeed. if you want an example of a perfectly run bar with an excellent range (in the double figures) of beautifully kept real ales then look no further than the dove and rainbow in town, run by goldenfleece, who is also taking over the york in broomhill (re-opening halloween.)

justin and donna needed a re-focus - the strength of the old RG was the fantastic food. it's an old adage but a true one - focus on your strengths. that's been done and now i really hope they can make a success of silversmiths because going on kitchen nightmares is a very, very brave decision.

dunno, but i am planning to find a pub with a screen and set up a facebook event for people to all come along and watch it together - ...edna, we can even have a toast to heaven 17's recent gig on the roof of sheffield hallam uni! :headbang:

Go on then I will look out for the date.:thumbsup:

i agree. but they're running a business and you stay in business by making the business profitable and if the unique and eclectic atmosphere aint paying the bills you strip everything down and build summat else, which is precisely what has been done in the case of RG.

it's not acceptable, it's unprofessional and was getting them a bad reputation. sheffield's not called the biggest village in england for nowt. i care what happens to that place; i want them to succeed. if you want an example of a perfectly run bar with an excellent range (in the double figures) of beautifully kept real ales then look no further than the dove and rainbow in town, run by goldenfleece, who is also taking over the york in broomhill (re-opening halloween.)

justin and donna needed a re-focus - the strength of the old RG was the fantastic food. it's an old adage but a true one - focus on your strengths. that's been done and now i really hope they can make a success of silversmiths because going on kitchen nightmares is a very, very brave decision.

Fair do's then.

I understand the need to keep their heads above water, i'm MD of a medium sized company myself.

Good luck to them both, hopefully we'll find time to pop down and check it out.

dunno, but i am planning to find a pub with a screen and set up a facebook event for people to all come along and watch it together - free entry of course, non profit making, only for publicity. i may have copies of my newly released novel on sale at the bar though, wink as i lerrrv tie-in publicity.

my main motivation though is so a load of us can whoop and cheer when justin gets ********ed by gordon, and i can film it and put it on youtube :) i mean, come on people, it's going to be great publicity for silversmiths and great fun for everyone :banana: :banana: :banana: , bring it on!

btw who fancies attending when i set this up? tyranna, you'd be up for it wouldn't you? :) and edna, we can even have a toast to heaven 17's recent gig on the roof of sheffield hallam uni! :headbang:

I'd be up for this. Got to agree that Silversmith's is a good name and it's plastered in the original stonework on the front of the building - calling it Silversmith's makes the most of the building - good move. I'm up for trying the food and hope it all goes well for them - I don't know Justin and Donna, so will get back with an objective review.