Silversmiths (Runaway Girl)

Following stories in the local press about the Runaway Girl and a certain celebrity chef myself and my wife thought we should revisit the Runaway Girl. Previously we have experienced the tapas offered there and always found the food extremely well prepared and enjoyable.

Now relaunched as Silversmiths and only a week since the changes we booked ourselves in for an evening meal. The menu has changed beyond recognition, gone are my much loved tapas replaced by starters, mains and desserts. The restaurant has undergone a total transformation, much brighter and with a modern twist. The staff are friendly and well informed about both the food and drinks now served. The menu offered a nice selection of local products from much talked about venison sausages to Yorkshire blue tart.

I hate being gushy, just doesn’t suit me at all, but the food was excellent, well presented, extremely well prepared and a delight to eat. There was no rush, waiting staff allowed us the time to enjoy our food and left enough time between courses to allow us time to enjoy the food we received. To go with the food there is a good selection of wines and some wonderfully prepared cocktails.

After so many bad experiences with restaurants in and around Sheffield it was refreshing to find a restaurant that delivers good food with staff that are obviously happy in their work. If you want freshly prepared delicious food in a modern friendly environment the Silversmiths is for you.

Could it still pass for an evening bar?

Following stories in the local press about the Runaway Girl and a certain celebrity chef myself and my wife thought we should revisit the Runaway Girl. Previously we have experienced the tapas offered there and always found the food extremely well prepared and enjoyable.

Now relaunched as Silversmiths and only a week since the changes we booked ourselves in for an evening meal. The menu has changed beyond recognition, gone are my much loved tapas replaced by starters, mains and desserts. The restaurant has undergone a total transformation, much brighter and with a modern twist. The staff are friendly and well informed about both the food and drinks now served. The menu offered a nice selection of local products from much talked about venison sausages to Yorkshire blue tart.

I hate being gushy, just doesn’t suit me at all, but the food was excellent, well presented, extremely well prepared and a delight to eat. There was no rush, waiting staff allowed us the time to enjoy our food and left enough time between courses to allow us time to enjoy the food we received. To go with the food there is a good selection of wines and some wonderfully prepared cocktails.

After so many bad experiences with restaurants in and around Sheffield it was refreshing to find a restaurant that delivers good food with staff that are obviously happy in their work. If you want freshly prepared delicious food in a modern friendly environment the Silversmiths is for you.

How long have you worked there mate? :rolleyes:

Now relaunched as Silversmiths and only a week since the changes

?:confused:

Gawd! I'll miss the name 'Runaway Girl', my favourite club/bar name in the whole of Sheffield!

Will they still be available for hire for late club/private party nights like the one organised on June 8?

?:confused:

Gawd! I'll miss the name 'Runaway Girl', my favourite club/bar name in the whole of Sheffield!

Will they still be available for hire for late club/private party nights like the one organised on June 8?

I heard through a couple of promoters the soundsystem has been sold - so it looks like it's just going to be a restaurant.

Well they better do some serious advertising then, cos it's not exactly on the beaten track!

Agree Tyranna - why change the name? Did he put a big sign up outside? On the American one he always got the owners to whoop and cheer when he did the big unveiling! Sorry, but Silversmiths is not exactly original or interesting ... (as a name) but Runaway Girl was.

I'm surprised at this actually. I got handed a menu in town last week. Really didn't appeal to me. I thought it looked utterly boring. The name as well is pants. How boring Silversmiths, apart from anything, it made me think of Richard Smith (one of the better known chefs in Sheffield of Thyme). So really didn't seem appropriate. Runnaway Girl was a brilliant name.

I was going to give it a try. But I'm yet to convince anyone that I show the menu to it is worth trying. It might be nice, but I like to go out for something different.

What's on the menu Jess? I think the food was always fab before ... I don;t think it was the food or the NAME that led it to be struggling - probably location and not really knowing what it was? Been to some cracking parties/band nights there though!

Is it just a restaurant now then?

To me it was just very bland, or probably the "simple" approach that Ramsay usually takes. I can't remembber though sorry. Isn't there a menu online anywhere?

All I can remember was

Chilled Pea and Mint soup

Chicken liver parfait (although this might be wrong)

Basically bangers and mash (worded different)

Lemon Tart

Yorkshire Cheese and biscuits

I liked the way produce seemed locally sourced, but I have eaten every dish on the menu before, many times.