Couple forced to live in car...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/CREDIT-CRUNCH-Hardworking-family-forced.4348773.jp

I find this incredible.

Surely, if they were unable to get a mortage in the first place they shouldn't have even considered it as an option. These credit checks are not there for the fun of it?

I know they are hard working and they will now get a council house ASAP, which is good and all but there are others out there who are in similar positions with the credit crunch and are having to just "get on"

Im trying not to sound harsh as I know what hell its like living in temp accom and getting anything from council re housing... but well I dunno what do people think here?

..dull...

I think this is a ploy to queue jump the priority list. The couple have been offered temporary accommodation by the Council but don't want to pay for it, even though there is a wage coming in. There are loads of people desperate for accommodation who are sleeping on relatives' floors, in bed and breakfast accommodation and split up from their families. They haven't resorted to living in a car and inviting the Star round. Homeless Section will have gone into their circumstances very carefully indeed before declaring them intentionally homeless. There will be good reasons too, why they have been turned down by private landlords.

I'm assuming that as it is temp accom, then bills would be included? In which case £130 a week for a family is not bad. (Rent, Gas, Leccy, Water, CT etc)!!

It's the lesser of 2 evils in my book.

Well, £130 a week is a lot of money for council accomodation. Interesting that they've seen the CAB. I'm sure if the council's decision was wrong, CAB would've jumped on them.

Well, £130 a week is a lot of money for council accomodation.

But not if it's all included.

I don't know if it is, but trying to demonstrate the point.

the temp accom i was in was 130 pounds for one person! It included support though...

dull

the temp accom i was in was 130 pounds for one person! It included support though...

dull

But was the support, bills and help with finding a place etc?

If so, it's still not that bad. You can't much in the way of private rental for a family for under £500 per month (no bills) these days.

The papers and estate agents etc have lots of ads for accomodation, there is no excuse for this, they are just blaming everyone else for their inability to manage their money. There is no reason whatsoever why anyone who is working cannot find accomodation and if they have lived in the car for 2 weeks (as if) they have saved over £200 anyway.

they have saved over £200 anyway.

Plus bills. ;)

Plus bills. ;)
Petrol is expensive though, so they can blame oil firms for that.

Petrol is expensive though, so they can blame oil firms for that.

Agree but its not unusual now to see people blaming everyone else for their problems and taking no responsabilty themselves, the sad thing is some people will even blame the lender for giving them the credit :loopy:

Also it does not state whether they bought their masionette from the council. If they did, serves them right in my book as council housing is for people who can't afford to buy and if successive governments and silly people had not sold/bought then there would be more housing stock available for people just like this. (Err ... bit of an assumption that this couple bought from the council ... and I suppose 'serves them right' is a BIT harsh ... but still).