Moss Way allotments

just to update, site has now been cleared and talking to the the allotment bloke from the council the fence should be started in the next two weeks. As regards to the planned allotment society I was wondering if it would be possible to incorporate elm crescent in with it? were up on that one but there's only about 15 plots (most of which are starting out) so its not really big enough to have our own. get a bigger community going.

the group is up and running, its called the Moss Way Allotment Group. membership to the group is for allotment keepers on the site but others could join as associate members. I will mention to the secretary your proposal to incorporate another site and will post response later.

Hi digdig, nice to meet you up at the allotments today. The workmen are cracking on and its looking really good up there.... not a rat to be seen :hihi: The bits of over-winter veg I've put in are coming along nicely so it must good soil.

Please thank Janice for all her work on our behalf.

lynne :)

Hi Utah,

Good to see you at Moss Way today, yes the rats have definitely done a runner with all the heavy machinery up there. Things are looking really promising now and all seems to be progressing well. We now need enthusiastic allotmenteers (if that's what we're called) to make a success of it. My other half will continue to badger everyone and anyone till we get what we want, she spends a lot of time researching ways of raising funds and trying to contact other like minded groups.

We'll be up on the site over the weekend weather permitting so say hello if you're passing and good luck with your first crops. Who'd have thought 3 months ago that you would be planting on the site. Will see you at the meeting next Monday all being well.

Just an update, the clear up is progressing. All vacant plots have been scraped and hedges all round the site have been trimmed. The vacant plots will be rotorvated soon and then marked out. It looks like additional plots will be created taking the existing 78 plots to just over a hundred.

The surface to the lanes will be improved and the security fence to the whole site erected and all on course for the end of 2009.

Irish 1986, I mentioned your idea of Elm Crescent joining the group at the meeting this evening and all seemed agreeable for anyone wishing to join to sign up as associate members. Contact details for the group should be available from the Allotments Dept at Meersbrook Park.

Is it a yearly rental for an allotment on there?

Yes it's about £20 for the year, thats for a plot on a site with water like Moss Way. This is due on 1st of January and payable To the local authority. Our group charge £5 for membership for allotment keepers and £2.50 for associate membership, this is optional but we are hoping everyone will join as then we can benefit much more as a group.

Hi dig has any new allotments been issued yet I have been pestering the allotment office for over a year now when i first asked what position I was on the list they told me there were 10 on list I got in touch with them a month ago and they told me I was number 20 on a list of 40 and that the allocation were iminent I have phoned up 4 times this week and each time it as gone to answer phone any idea if any have been allocated ,I have been up today and there does not seem to be any progress since last month.

Hi Smiffy/veg. Sorry you're having problems contacting the Allotment office I believe they are low on staff at the moment.

Work started on site last year but the amount of waste on the site exceeded original estimates. This has taken much more shifting than first thought and a few tractors have been damaged in the process.

Work stopped due to bad weather but we now have a perimeter fence and the site is clearer but very muddy and work has slowed while the ground dries out. In the next three or four weeks we will see the vacant plots ploughed and then marked out and at that stage the plots should be let.

We are going to ask the allotments office to start letting plots because some new tenants can get involved and help improve the area generally.

The group is meeting at The Mosborough Miners Welfare on Monday 22nd February at 7.30pm and you're welcome to come along. In the meantime keep calling the allotments office and suggest they allocate you a plot on the basis that you will take it on as it is and save them the work of preparing it for you. Good luck, hopefully see you at the meeting or up on site.

can you let me know when next meeting is

Hi Smiffy/veg. Sorry you're having problems contacting the Allotment office I believe they are low on staff at the moment.

Work started on site last year but the amount of waste on the site exceeded original estimates. This has taken much more shifting than first thought and a few tractors have been damaged in the process.

Work stopped due to bad weather but we now have a perimeter fence and the site is clearer but very muddy and work has slowed while the ground dries out. In the next three or four weeks we will see the vacant plots ploughed and then marked out and at that stage the plots should be let.

We are going to ask the allotments office to start letting plots because some new tenants can get involved and help improve the area generally.

The group is meeting at The Mosborough Miners Welfare on Monday 22nd February at 7.30pm and you're welcome to come along. In the meantime keep calling the allotments office and suggest they allocate you a plot on the basis that you will take it on as it is and save them the work of preparing it for you. Good luck, hopefully see you at the meeting or up on site.

digdig

could you let me know when next meeting is so I can attend

digdig

could you let me know when next meeting is so I can attend

Hi ya Smiffy/veg I believe the next meeting will be on Monday 29th at 7:30 at the Mosborough Minners Welfare.