Moss Way allotments

Hey all, I am going to try and get up to the allotments sometime soon to see is any work has been done to clear the site. Last time I went up was February and there was still a bunch of mattresses (which had obviously come from an old peoples home and probably been died on) that I had reported in September. The asbestos was still there BUT they had put a new set of steel gates on BUT after spending what must be a good few hundred quid on them, they don't close. They are quite heavy and the posts have set wrong in the concrete it seems. Nice gates though if only they would keep out the flytippers which they would do if they closed. The council must know that they don't close as they have sent me no letter to go and purchase a key which I suppose they would do to all the allotment tenents.

I have still not planted in mine and still wondering whether to let it go as they are disgusting.

Like I said, I shall check them out. I might even take some video and send it to the local MP.

Bye for now :)

Hi

thought I'd bring this old thread back to life as I've just put my name down for an allotment at Moss Way. they are in a sorry state, but they have recently put up a gate and are clearing the site. we have asked for a plot which is quite flat and not to over grown, they are going to clear it and spray the plot before we start work on it, also I've asked them to clear the road and surrounding area as there was asbestos all over and I want to take my dogs with me.

haven't heard about the rats, but did see a dead one when we walked around!!!

If anyone fancies getting a plot next to mine and working together to bring some life back into these let me know, we'd be happy to help.

I've been told that the government has innitiatives to bring allotments back to working order and money is going to be spent on the site, the long term plan is to have a building to by gardening supplies from, a kind of shop, in the centre of the site so this could be a good time to get onto the site, I hope anyway.

Hi all, I`m new to sheffield (6 months). I applied for a plot and this was the only site any were available. They sound as if they were/are in a mess, still I`m going to take a plot, and the last paragraph of Becks` post is encouraging. I`ve found in the past, that even a few dedicated allotmenteers (hehe) can make a difference to the councils handling of derelict sites. If a few good plots can spring up they immediately become interest, especially if the surrounding locals notice a difference, even a small one. Anyways, hope I may meet some of you up there.

Happy digging.

TBF.

Hi all, I`m new to sheffield (6 months). I applied for a plot and this was the only site any were available. They sound as if they were/are in a mess, still I`m going to take a plot, and the last paragraph of Becks` post is encouraging. I`ve found in the past, that even a few dedicated allotmenteers (hehe) can make a difference to the councils handling of derelict sites. If a few good plots can spring up they immediately become interest, especially if the surrounding locals notice a difference, even a small one. Anyways, hope I may meet some of you up there.

Happy digging.

TBF.

Has anyone any information about getting one of these allotments I have phoned several times to the allotment office and emailed 3 times still no reply

How many people are cultivating their allotments still at moss way allotments, I would fancy one myself. Would anyone recommend it?

To add on to Sierraman's comment (we are thinking of getting one together with the view to getting more people involved) has anyone set up any association for the regeneration of the moss way site which could apply for government funding?

Irish 1986 seems like a good idea I live just off moss way and are trying to get my hands on one of these plots it such a waste to see these plots going to waste and I have to drive past these every day if any one wants to join us I would be more than happy to set up some sort of meeting to discuss

Hello, I'm new to the forum but thought I might have some useful information for you.

We signed up for plot 6 at Moss Way in mid summer, so hi Sheffjo we're you're neighbours. The site was and is very overgrown but things are about to change. Since becoming tenants we are passionate about regenerating the site.

My wife has contacted many people, attended meetings and generally made herself a nuisance till she got answers.

We are now expecting work to start on the site in the next couple of weeks and be complete by christmas. The work involves clearing the site,marking out plots, cutting fences and erecting a perimeter security fence.

The Moss Way Allotment Group was formed a few weeks ago. The idea is we all pay a small fee to be part of this group on top of our fee to the council. If we contribute in this way then we can apply to various organisations for funding. We would like to raise money initially to buy a container and tools then perhaps in the future stock supplies for us all to buy.

My wife is secretary of the group, they have already made contact with the local constabulary so we can hopefully work together to combat vandalism and anti social behaviour. We are also hoping to establish links with other community groups and schools in the area.

We've had a gate on the plot for over three months now and it's never been attacked and our efforts to clear dense overgrowth (over 1.5m high in places) and lots of rubbish have been unhindered by anyone. There are rats, we have spent several full days up there and only ever seen two in one day, they aren't really a problem and mostly concentrate round plots with livestock.

Next time you go up Sheffjo you may see a bit more of your plot, I started cutting the hedge between our plots, (my wife got your permission) We both have much more light coming in. I could'nt get right in to your plot as there is lots of debris and rubbish under the weeds and it's dangerous underfoot. I made sure your gate was closed and pulled some wire down over it to make a bit more of a barrier.

If anyone is thinking of getting a plot please contact Parks and Contryside Department up at Meersbrook and hopefully together we can all make our site a relaxing oasis for all to enjoy.

THe bloke who runs the allotments retires very soon and anothe bloke is taking over :banana: so maybe some of the old allotments will get brought back into use ?

With the demand as more people struggle financialy it would be criminal for them not to bring more of the old allotments back to use.

If the country gets any worse the Gov will have to step in and finance more plots or something. ;)

hi,

Have any of you visited the men on the moss way allottments who keep pigeons? I used to race pigeons with these men in a club in mosborough many years ago, but still do know them well. The reason for telling you this is we also used to be the caretakers at the westfield secondry school site which joins the back of the allottments. Although the work has stopped for now the old school site will be made into approx 400 houses with the old sports center acting as a community center. The council maybe giving you the go ahead now for a allottment on moss way but the gate area and sliproad you are talking about (previous post) is actually going to be made much wider and the entrance for the housing estate. The pigeon men on the allottments have already been offered deals when the time comes for them to vacate the moss way allottments as this will mainly be turned into road way into the new housing eatate. Although the new estate may not be happening just yet the plans and designs are all in place and agreed on i think you will even be able to find the plans at the town hall. So i would be very careful at taking on a allottment and putting hard work in on a site that you may have to vacate quickly. There is allottments though behind elm crescent in mosborough that would be unaffected and last time i looked not so over grown.

And yes all allottments have rats especially if been abandoned with old food stuffs or have had animals or pigeons kept on them.

Yes there are proposals for the access lane to made into a road but this will lead to sports facilities possibly run by Sheffield and Hallamshire FC. The improved access will benefit the allotments as well as the proposed facility and the area will be better used and therefore better looked after.

The allotments are classed as permanent and can only disposed of with the approval of the Secretary of State. With the current climate showing an increased popularity in allotments I think we will see more allotments and the current 78 plots may even increase. Sites will certainly not disappear and in anycase the area has already reached it's peak of development and the remaining open spaces are being retained.

There is a list of hopeful future tenants waiting to be allocated plots once the improvement work's complete so don't imagine the site being closed at least for the foreseeable future.

As I said in first post, yes there are rats but comments of rats indicate to people that dozens are running all over the site. Yes you do see the odd rat but after spending a full weekend up there last weekend we only saw one briefly before it scurried under a hedge.

I would encourage anyone to take a plot if offered one.

At last managed to get through to some one on council but still just on waiting list the plan is to have mossway allotments secure fenced and cleared by 31st of January 2010 at which time plots will be allocated , I am willing to join allotment society in the hope I do get 1 allocated has any one got the details

Glad you are interested in joining us, just to keep you up to date work has started clearing the site this week. Tractors have started scraping the derelict plots and open spaces. The site now looks a lot bigger.

Hopefully hedge trimming and the new fence will follow shortly. With all the disruption and rubbish being cleared I thought we might see more vermin but after spending the last three days clearing our own plot we haven't seen any.

Anyone wanting to join the Moss Way Allotment Group should contact the allotment office at Meersbrook Park. At the moment I think you have to be allocated an allotment first then invited to join the group however sometime in the future it is hoped that associate membership would be available for those without an allotment.

Keep pestering them, checking your names on the list and fingers crossed we might be neighbours next spring.