Moss Way allotments

Where abouts are the allotments on Moss Way? I didnt know there were any on there. The ones at Sothall always look in pretty good shape to me we still own our old house on Batesquire which overlooks the allotments from the back of the house and they are normally busy and in a good state, the only plots that dont look good are at the bottom of our garden and that is because they are at the bottom of the bank where it is damp and in the shade.

I was trying to find out about the allotments at Harthill - believe they come under Rotherham but cannot find anything out about them - there seem to be some empty plots and these would be in a better location for me at our new house. Does anyone know anything about them?

Hi SueH

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

If you have not yet found out the allotments are opposite Westfield Southway

If you cannot find anything out about Harthill it may be worth just poping over on a weekend and trying to speak to an allotment owner?

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that

I have received a letter back from the Allotments Officer regarding my query about the rats (I also asked about water taps as the one near our allotment is broken).

The reply stated that they are due to install two more taps on site (one of which will be near our plot) and that regarding the rats they believe that once work starts on the site they feel that the rat population will move on. They also state that it is up to the tenants to put down rat bait on their own plots and enclosed a leaflet from the Environmental Health Department on how to bait plots safely.

I was happy with this response but when we went to view our plot again last week it is still really full of fly tipped rubbish (corrugated roofing and lots of old tyres) so much so that we cannot even enter it without taking our life in our hands. When we accepted our plot we were told not to attempt any work until September as the site was still being cleared. The surrounding allotments are all fairly cleared so we are going to wait and see if it is cleared, if not I will contact them again.

Tiny try and keep the corrugated roofing incase you want to build for repair your own on plot shed :hihi:

Any update from you lot re moss way allotments / the rat situation etc. Got a letter though and can basically choose any plot I want. All looks a bit dubious tho from this thread. I don't want to catch weil's disease and die!

Any update from you lot re moss way allotments / the rat situation etc. Got a letter though and can basically choose any plot I want. All looks a bit dubious tho from this thread. I don't want to catch weil's disease and die!

I just went and took a look! Jesus Christ! If you want a taste of what earth will look like 1000 years after a nuclear war then I suggest you do the same. It was like something out of village of the damned! There was even a door upright on it's own blowing back and forth in the middle of a 'field'. You can't even define the plots on much of it and the local youths have recently had a nice fire! This city council want treating with utter contempt!

I just went and took a look! Jesus Christ! If you want a taste of what earth will look like 1000 years after a nuclear war then I suggest you do the same. It was like something out of village of the damned!

I could'nt have put it better myself!

I'm going to start pestering Eckington parish council!

Hi

thought I'd bring this old thread back to life as I've just put my name down for an allotment at Moss Way. they are in a sorry state, but they have recently put up a gate and are clearing the site. we have asked for a plot which is quite flat and not to over grown, they are going to clear it and spray the plot before we start work on it, also I've asked them to clear the road and surrounding area as there was asbestos all over and I want to take my dogs with me.

haven't heard about the rats, but did see a dead one when we walked around!!!

If anyone fancies getting a plot next to mine and working together to bring some life back into these let me know, we'd be happy to help.

I've been told that the government has innitiatives to bring allotments back to working order and money is going to be spent on the site, the long term plan is to have a building to by gardening supplies from, a kind of shop, in the centre of the site so this could be a good time to get onto the site, I hope anyway.

i know they've put a gate on but unfortunately they didn't close properly last time i went!!

Thank goodness they are clearing them though! As for the rats, i went up to mine a couple of weeks ago (no' 7) and one just trotted by like it hadn't a care :) massive it was too!

I was clearing mine but everytime i put a gate or lock on, the next day it was broken into- 3 times once in a week. I really hope the 'gate' stops these thugs and they do something with them And, i also hope that the person/s responsible for breaking into them isn't a fellow allotment holder!

Sheffjo, I think the dead rat I saw was right outside your allotment come to think of it, I do hope we don't have people breaking in every 2 minutes, we're really looking forward to having our first allotment, I'm hoping it will improve as more and more people come on to the allotments.

bit worried about the rats now, will def take the dog with me!