Heres a story for you

A few years ago I used to work for an engineering company in Chesterfield, Dennis Hobson Jnr used to call a few times a week to collect the scrap metal, swarf etc which I used to load on to his wagon.

Being a Wednesdayite myself like Dennis we always used to chat about football etc.

Dennis played football too and played at decent standard too.So we always used to chat whenever he came to collect the scrap metal.

Anyway a few years later to my wedding day, Dennis was playing football at the time for Denaby FC. They had booked an over night stop at the moat house prior to playing football.The same hotel we had booking for our wedding reception.

Just as I arrived with my wife for our wedding reception, Dennis and his team mates were just leaving.

Denis saw me, came up and shook my hand and wished myself and my wife all the best.

Then took out his wallet and stuffed £20 in the top pocket of my jacket, and as he did so said have a drink on me.

The look on my family and my friends faces some of them knew of Dennis jnr.

Suffice to say Dennis jnr is a top bloke.

I haven't seen him for years but wish him all the best

Cheers

Its more Dennis senior who has or had the reputation...Dennis junior is doing very well for himself these days with the boxing.But all nice people really and always polite and friendly.

I know Dennis senior, nice bloke.

My father told me a few stories about Dennis senior and I went to school with Dennis juniour.

has he still got club on worksop rd.would love to see him ..

Gailhobson mentioned David Perkins. Anyone know if he is still in Sheffield ?

Gailhobson mentioned David Perkins. Anyone know if he is still in Sheffield ?

Hi xjr1300...no David isnt in sheffield he hasnt been for a long time.(he is my father)

has he still got club on worksop rd.would love to see him ..

Hi jennyren,yes our Dennis has still got the club and gym on worksop road :)

Denis Snr had a fearsome reputation but I found him to be a real gent. He knew my mate who lived off Staniforth Road and always had a friendly word with us.

Lets see, I was around 17 (making Denis 28, he looked older in his Barney Goodman suite), it was a Sunday evening and me and my mate went for a couple of quick halves in the Robin Hood on Attercliffe Common prior to going to town. As we walked in dressed in our best suits we noticed a bunch of the roughest looking Gypsies that you could wish for, they kept staring at us and whispering between themselves.

We started to think about making our escape when Denis strolled in, "what would you like to drink Mr Hobson?" says I. "I'll have a half of beer with you thanks very much", says Denis. He then noticed the Gypsies and said "a bit of bo---cks going on is there lads?" He walked over to them and somehow seemed to embrace them all within his huge arms, they started to laugh, as did Denis who came back to join us. "I've just marked their cards, they know what will happen to them if they as much as touch you" said Denis.

Denis finished his half and said his farewells to both us and the Gypsies, we left a few minuets later and one of the Gypsies said "have a good night lads".

Denis Hobson, what a top guy. His legendery two battles with Joe Durrant (might not have spelt that right, if not sorry Joe), his many set too's with Ray Morgan (another good guy, bloody tough though), but if you just wanted his company he was as nice as pie. Any aspiring 'gun slinger' enevitably came into contact with him, most wish that they hadn't. :help:

Not seen Denis's first wife Pat for a long time.We were good friends many years ago.

Not seen Denis's first wife Pat for a long time.We were good friends many years ago.

Hi stewpot54,She moved to Gersey too after andrew did.

can you remember chris who used to go around with Denis senior/he had very bad arthritis and died a few years ago/also there was a little chap I think he had done a bit of boxing dont recall his name.