Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-op

A good friend of mine worked there in 60s he was the electrician and did all the work on the coop branches up to him retiring about 10 years ago his name is Terry Vickers.

What happened to the big ceramic rosettes that topped the pillars on the front of the S&E building on Ecclesall Road?

They were preserved and on display in the foyer of the Safeway supermarket which was built on the site of the demolished S&E building, but they disappeared when it was converted to Somerfield or the Waitrose which it is now.

We had our wedding at the S&E Jacobean Rooms at the bottom of Ecclesall Road,in 1967 - at the time it was very unusual to have a wedding on Thursday but we didn't want everyone we invited to come - especially bringing all the children!!!!

A good friend of mine worked there in 60s he was the electrician and did all the work on the coop branches up to him retiring about 10 years ago his name is Terry Vickers.

I remember Terry Vickers.

I worked in the TV and Appliance service department

in the 60s. We were in the Arcade then moved to the new building on

Clarence Lane.

Hi Wolseley,

I remember Margaret very well but I'm sorry to say that I can't tell you anything about what happened to her. She left and was replaced by Wendy but I just can't remember why she left. I think she was going to be married but I'm not sure. Can you remember what her surname was? It may be possible to trace her if you can.

Grannypat

Hi Wolseley,

It was Margaret who lived at Woodseats. I went to her house a few times. It was just off Derbyshire Lane at the top of Millmount Road. I can't remember the name of her fiance or where he lived.

If it should come back to you, what her surname was, let me know. I have the feeling that it began with an N.

Grannypat

I remember Terry well, I worked for the S&E from 1976 to early 80s, Terry always had a good tale to tell.

On 27/12/2011 at 11:37, grannypat said:

Hi,

Wow, no replies for 3 years and now two. Terrific. I was there as a window dresser from 1962 to 66 approx. I did know one or two of the milkmen from Archer Road but I expect it will be unlikely that I knew your dad but you never know. Some names I remember are Barbara Ball (she joined the Navy) Christine Townsend, Hazel Welch, Wendy Barford, Michael Wootten( I think that was his surname). Dear old Mr Bunting used to be in the dispatch department. David Smith, Gillian and Carol on ladies stockings, Mr Hobson and Elaine on men's department. Mrs Maisie Powell on ladies knitwear, Miss Askham who commited suicide, Pam on ladies underwear, Miss Langley on childrens clothes.Mr Clark was in charge of the window dressing department. Dave Athorn was a milkman from Archer Road. Do any of these names ring a bell????

Granny Pat

Hello Granny Pat hope you are still out there & keeping well.

I used to work for Mrs Powell. Her and her Husband Bill had the Disc Jockey cafe on London Rd opposite T CHarrisons

I worked there after school, weekends and school holidays. Happy days

Hi Rockers rule. I am amazed. It has been so long since anyone relied to this post. Yes, I am still alive and kicking. Tell me do you remember any of the other people I mentioned? 

I didn't know that Mrs Powell owned a café. I can't place The Disc Jockey . I remember The Continental right at the bottom of London Road opposite The Locarno. 

On 01/09/2019 at 10:15, grannypat said:

Hello Grany Pat, Nice to see your still out  there & hopefully keeping well. I havn't been on here for some time and was quite suprised to find Mrs Powels name there. It is the same Mrs Powel (Maisie).

I was looking for anyone who might have worked at Archer Road Dairy. I worked in the dairy (bottling plant) for 3 years and 7 years on the milk rounds 1975 - 1986 (including delivering to the Arcade) I don't know any of the other names on your list but as we only lived off London Rd (Randall St when it was terrace houses before they pulled them all down) there is a good chance I would have . One of my jobs at the cafe was to fetch things from the Arcade (funny things you remember just writing this- Gravy salt?).

I'd have worked at the cafe in the eary 70's. I can't place the Continental (just found my old Kellys directory from 1972 and hate to correct you Granny Pat, but, the Continental wasn't opposite The Locarno) The Continental was further up london road.  The Disc Jocky (now Lemon & pepper Grillz) was just after a gap in the shops (now a small car park) (probably caused by bombing in WW2) where Harrys veg stall stood (a big wooden shed type thing run by 2 brothers ) So heading up London Rd from the Landsdown pub (towards Highfields & Heeley btm)  The Disk Jocky was bang opposite T C Harrisons and we did a good trade with all their reps  I think Dennings butchers was on the other side of the gap (says J R Woolen, butchers in 1972's Kellys)  after the Disc Jocky there was (is) an arch way, a car spares after that, Edleys watch repr (gold shop), the Continental (our rivals & where my younger brother worked), Harold Savages butchers (sold the best steak in Sheffield & suplied the D/J), Rayners hardware and then Coleens ladies outfitters. a small gap then Hiberts, The Pheasent, Romneys dry cleaners, Davy's (always had big rounds of cheese in't window)

My Father in law Jack Latham worked as a Milkman for the S&E from just after the war (sent down' pit - Bevin boy) till he retired.

One of his stories was how they used to go through the funeral department past all the coffins so they could serve the car dealers on Ecclesall rd  (Hoffmanns).

Hope you enjoy my little walk down London Rd

(Phoned my brother up & he couldnt remember the name of the Continental)

good job i'd still got my Kellys.    

Rocker.

I think I'm a few years before you. I worked at the Co-op from 1962 to 1967 ish. This is probably why I don't remember you. Did you know Hazel Walch? 

I had an uncle who worked at the Co-op funeral department. Ask your father in law if he remembers Alwyn Stevenson? Also my mum worked at Hoffmans on the pumps for a while back in the late 50s early 60s.

The Continental was probably not exactly across from The Locarno but there was a bit of waste ground by the side of it. There was a sort of step across the inside of the window where people used to sit and it was known as the Continental shelf. I'm wondering if it had a change of ownership and changed it's name after I moved out of the area. 

Grannypat

38 minutes ago, grannypat said:

I think I'm a few years before you. I worked at the Co-op from 1962 to 1967 ish. This is probably why I don't remember you. Did you know Hazel Walch? 

I had an uncle who worked at the Co-op funeral department. Ask your father in law if he remembers Alwyn Stevenson? Also my mum worked at Hoffmans on the pumps for a while back in the late 50s early 60s.

The Continental was probably not exactly across from The Locarno but there was a bit of waste ground by the side of it. There was a sort of step across the inside of the window where people used to sit and it was known as the Continental shelf. I'm wondering if it had a change of ownership and changed it's name after I moved out of the area. 

Grannypat

Hello GrannyPat 

Father in law died a few years ago. But at 89 he'd had a good innings . Going back to your original post, I know for a fact Jack attended some of the dinners at the cutlers.

I think they started having the Christmas dinners actualy at the Arcade in later years. We had our wedding reception in the Arcade in 1976

i f you look on google maps (street scene) London Rd, there is a Cafe - La Romantica - there now- this is what I remember being the Continental.

The Continental was run by a Spanish couple early 70's, 

Maisie and Bill lived at Dronfield (off Green Lane)  Bill was ex Navy and they would travel into Sheffield each morning.

I'm sure Mr's Powell told me she had been a buyer of some sort - something to do with the clothing Dpt at the Arcade but like I say that was the early 70's. 

Rocker.