Heaven 17 Roof Top Concert

A perfect summary from the white rose. There are fewer bigger fans of H17 than me, but wow, what a mess the organisers made of it.

Penthouse and Pavement indeed. They could not have created a better exemplar parody if they had planned it.

Ha! Cheers. I never even spotted that particular irony! :hihi:

So if that's what you wanted, go and see them at the arena in Dec. There they will be like dots on a screen unless once again you are right at the front. Or you'll watch them on the side screens.

thats why i dont go to arena gigs. ever.

yes the rest were competition winners from the uni and had all genuinely won them.

your information is wrong, there. most of the audience were on a guest list of handpicked senior university employees; a guest list drawn up by the organiser. but it's a moot point. my main point is that there was a huge public in hallam square who couldn't see them which was a wasted opportunity in the opinion of myself and many others. your opinion is different. that's fine.

It's like any gig, sometimes you get in, sometimes you don't,

i completely disagree with you. the public assumed, wrongly it turns out, that they would be able to see the band from hallam square. it goes without saying that it's wonderful that the band and the roof audience enjoyed it. my point is that more people could have, it would have been a far better and more successful event in my opinion and the opinion of those people i talked to, had the band played in the public space built on the roman amphitheatre design, a design specifically intended to host public performances.

A perfect summary from the white rose. There are fewer bigger fans of H17 than me, but wow, what a mess the organisers made of it.

Penthouse and Pavement indeed. They could not have created a better exemplar parody if they had planned it.

Fellas, come and do it again for the rest of us.

cheers tony. well thats two of us who'd like it to be done again for the sheffield public. what do you think lads and lasses of heaven 17? :thumbsup:

Lol! Yor initials aren't DN by any chance? Well bully for you anyway, but I felt it was a good idea badly executed, resulting in an excusive and elitist event. Imagine aht it'd ave been like had we ALL been able to see the band. Nobody danced in Hallam Square I can tell you!

One of my colleagues was up there too, but he's more senior than me and well in with the bigwigs. I did think about trying to blag may way up there on a health and safety pretext but decided not to.

No to initials. :( Aw I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as me...

But I thought it was great!

tbf to the organiser its NOT JUST a gig, its something different....not many bands have played on roofs to an audience.

a band at music live in middlesbrough last year did (and you couldnt "feel it" granted, but it was different) also remember the beatles did, on abbey road

Yeah, that building was ideal for that Mel wasn't it... flat roof you could see from the floor but even so i wanted to be on the roof to connect with the band(Eskimo Disco -where are they now?).

That time I wasn't and if i remember rightly we wandered off to watch someone else?

This roof you couldn't see the band from the floor at all which is probably everyone's point. Dunno if there is a building in Sheffield set up for this.. i guess not.

Unless you were part of the team who organised Heaven 17 on the roof of the university's Owen Building then you wouldn't know how the 'guest list' was drawn up...and I don't recall White Rose having any part in it ?

So why the wild assumptions?

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Far from being 'big wigs' the people on the roof were winners who responded to competitions run by The Star, Creative Sheffield and via the University's own website. The only other people up there were the band, the media, security and members of the events team...all for very obvious reasons!

Attached is the news release from July 11 which explains the rationale

Strange you don't recognise a PR stunt when you see one - having allegedly worked as a photo-journalist!

It's Penthouse and Pavement again as Heaven 17 raise the roofThe synthpop sounds of Sheffield's Heaven 17 will sweep across the rooftops of their home city when they play a unique gig on top of Sheffield Hallam University on Wednesday 30 July.

The band, whose debut album was called Penthouse and Pavement, will play 12 floors up on the Owen Building and the audience will see the show for free on giant screens on the pavement below. Original members Glen Gregory and Martyn Ware will lead the band through an hour-long set featuring their massive 1980's hits, including Temptation, Let Me Go and Crushed by the Wheels of Industry.

It is part of the University's Fusion festival, celebrating the move of its Arts and Creative Studies students to a new location in the city centre - and the date has been specifically arranged to support Sheffield City Council's Wednesday Night Live summer programme of music, street entertainment and shopping events.

The roof gig is a warm up for Heaven 17's sell-out Steel City UK tour with fellow Sheffield techno-pop pioneers The Human League and ABC, which starts in the autumn.

Sheffield Hallam's John Palmer, said: 'Human League and ABC both played their first ever gigs at the old University arts building, so we're delighted that Heaven 17 will be adding to that live gig history by being the first to play at the new location."

And 20 lucky fans will have the once-in-a-lifetime experience of joining the band on the roof to see the show close up.

"We're going to run competitions to choose who gets to go to the penthouse rather than the pavement," said Palmer. "Already there's a huge buzz of expectation around the city with the prospect of Martyn and Glen playing here for the first time since the millennium - and we're all looking forward to a brilliant and memorable evening."

Ah, so you deliberately took the phrase Penthouse and Pavement and created a PR stunt out of it?

You obviously don't have a single clue what the album is about. You should be writing phone in quizzes for Radio 1. Now I remember why I thoroughly despise shallow marketing types who were one of the targets of mockery on that very piece of work.

i completely disagree with you. the public assumed, wrongly it turns out, that they would be able to see the band from hallam square. it goes without saying that it's wonderful that the band and the roof audience enjoyed it. my point is that more people could have, it would have been a far better and more successful event in my opinion and the opinion of those people i talked to, had the band played in the public space built on the roman amphitheatre design, a design specifically intended to host public performances.

thats it isnt it, it was an "event" not a gig, even i could see that from just reading this thread. ALL rooftop gigs are PR events NOT PROPER GIGS and its succeeded in getting people talking about it.

now sadly this thread seems to have been lowered to the usual political diatribes

How dare sheffield hallam and heaven17 put on a free event for the public like this. I am outraged.

i would rather nothing ever happened in this town then i would have nowt to moan about.

Ah, so you deliberately took the phrase Penthouse and Pavement and created a PR stunt out of it?

You obviously don't have a single clue what the album is about. You should be writing phone in quizzes for Radio 1. Now I remember why I thoroughly despise shallow marketing types who were one of the targets of mockery on that very piece of work.

Do you now thoroughly despise the band who agreed to take part in such a shallow PR stunt too?

Unless you were part of the team who organised Heaven 17 on the roof of the university's Owen Building then you wouldn't know how the 'guest list' was drawn up...and I don't recall White Rose having any part in it ?

So why the wild assumptions?

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Far from being 'big wigs' the people on the roof were winners who responded to competitions run by The Star, Creative Sheffield and via the University's own website. The only other people up there were the band, the media, security and members of the events team...all for very obvious reasons!

Blimey, so the University Registrar, Director of Estates and Facilities and Head of Health and Safety all entered and won a competition? What an amazing coincidence!

I know at least two of those didn't, for a fact, and I'd be gobsmacked if the third one did.

You can blow your trumpet all you like love, and as I said, it was a good idea, BUT could have been so much better. If they had to be on a roof, why not have them on the terrace outside Millennium Galleries, or in the Atrium, on the Exec lounge area on level 6, with the audience below? Both those would allow folk to see the band.

It may have been a publicity stunt, but to judge from the mixed reception, it wasn't all good publicity, was it?

How dare sheffield hallam and heaven17 put on a free event for the public like this. I am outraged.

i would rather nothing ever happened in this town then i would have nowt to moan about.

:hihi:

I need to write more so this will post...